Rooster Questions!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Aw-Ee Chicken, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Aw-Ee Chicken

Aw-Ee Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2015
    Crivitz, Wisconsin
    Hi, I want to start hatching my own chicks soon but I'm stuck on the rooster's part. When he mates with a hen, is the egg (whether it has a shell or not) immediately fertilized? Or do I have to wait until the egg that's done 'growing' and ready-to-lay comes out, and then then next will be fertilized? In other words, do I let the hen cycle an egg out and the next upcoming egg will be chick-worthy?
    Please help!!!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The egg has a very narrow window in which fertilization will take place and this window is closed by the time the shell is in place - once mating starts taking place (keep in mind if you are introducing the rooster it can take time for the hens to begin allowing him to mate them) I would suggest waiting 4+ days, collect a few eggs and crack them to check the germinal disc for the tell-tale bullseye that indicates the egg has been fertilized. Once you start noting fertility in the majority of eggs checked you would collect for hatching.

1 person likes this.
  3. Aw-Ee Chicken

Aw-Ee Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2015
    Crivitz, Wisconsin
    Thanks for replying! [​IMG] So just take any eggs from the nest; doesn't matter which ones? But that sounds like a plan. I'll do that. Thanks a lot and appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by