Rooster questions

Ohmyheart

Songster
Mar 27, 2017
North Little Rock, AR
I have 3 roosters. Pretty sure a fourth (a silkie) but so far not a trouble maker like the others.

2 are california grays and one is possible a black sex like rooster (he was supposed to be a barred rock pullet). All my chickens are 3 1/2 to 4 months old. The cockerels were an oopsie :)

They won't be with us much longer either rehoming or ending up in the freezer.

So my question since all my girls are 3.5-4 months old and the boys are trying to mate. Are they possible going to have fertilized eggs when they start laying? I've been told that mid July I may see eggs. I've also read that hens could still lay fertilized eggs a month after getting rid of a rooster. Does that apply to younger ones or just adults.

Also since the boys are driving my girls nuts should I push my Husband to cull them sooner rather then later? I don't want them hurt by frisky teenage boys.

I think it would be unlikely for you to have successfully fertilized eggs by the time your girls start laying in mid July. The reason is that it often takes the roosters awhile to be fertile themselves and to get the act of mating to be successful. (They are quite awkward at first!) Frankly, if you are planning to re-home or cull anyway, I would do it now. My young rooster broke some flight feathers and caused back feathers to wear off... why harm the girls if it isn't part of a long term plan? I swear my girls were relieved when he was gone!

Thank you, I am glad to read that. I didn't want to deal with the kids thinking we should keep eggs to hatch. I think I'm going to get my husband to do it this weekend. I can't seem to find homes for those three.

I think it would be unlikely for you to have successfully fertilized eggs by the time your girls start laying in mid July. The reason is that it often takes the roosters awhile to be fertile themselves and to get the act of mating to be successful. (They are quite awkward at first!) Frankly, if you are planning to re-home or cull anyway, I would do it now. My young rooster broke some flight feathers and caused back feathers to wear off... why harm the girls if it isn't part of a long term plan? I swear my girls were relieved when he was gone!

Back
Top Bottom