ROOSTER QUESTIONS

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
9 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
Hello lovely people out there on the forum! 😊
Not sure if this is the right area to post this question. I have a young mixed flock, ten pullets, one cockerel, and one hen who is a new addition. My cockerel is becoming sexually mature in that he has been crowing for a few weeks now. He is 4 months old. I haven’t seen him try to mount any of the females yet. I’ve been reading different threads and my concern is, is there any harm in having him remain with the flock or should he be removed and then re-introduced when they are all egg laying age?
I know he is equivalent to a hormonal teenager and I wouldn’t want the pullets to be unnecessarily mounted! The only female that is sexually mature is the hen, she is just over a year old.
They all get along quite well and my young man was raised with all the other younger birds.
Just want to do what’s best for the birds!😊

I am not an extensively experienced peeper keeper, but my instinct, and what little experience I do I have, lead me to think everyone will be happier, better adjusted, better flock mates if you leave them as you have them now, assuming the cockerel is the same general age as the pullets? The girls will have their own ways of moderating him, and I‘m thinking your older hen will make an interesting contribution, as well.

Did you feel like a proud papa when your boy began to crow? :celebrate

I am not an extensively experienced peeper keeper, but my instinct, and what little experience I do I have, lead me to think everyone will be happier, better adjusted, better flock mates if you leave them as you have them now, assuming the cockerel is the same general age as the pullets? The girls will have their own ways of moderating him, and I‘m thinking your older hen will make an interesting contribution, as well.

Did you feel like a proud papa when your boy began to crow? :celebrate
Thank you that’s my gut instinct as well! And I’m definitely a proud mama anyway since I hatched him from an egg!
709C2F4B-6B99-4BFA-9F79-4CC03A165FDF.jpeg
30580CE1-5977-4867-A5A6-63E555758E41.jpeg
E3D80057-3616-4E55-A7F4-ED06035FCAC0.jpeg

UPDATE:
So now 6 weeks later, my silkie cockerel has become overly amorous to the young ladies. They clearly do not appreciate his advances. Seeing a lot of feathers in the run, I have seen him pulling the girls feathers out.
I sectioned off a corner of the run for him, so he can still see his flockmates, and put him in there during the day. When all the girls have gone in at night to roost, I put him in with them. He goes back in his section first thing in the mornings. This seems to be working out OK. He does not seem unhappy about it. Much less squawking going on and the girls seem happier.
Question is, when can he rejoin them? When they all have started laying? A few of the 11 girls are close. They are all between 4 and 6 months of age. Only one laying is the older hen. It can be several months still for some of the breeds I have. Any thoughts?:)

I would say that he can rejoin them any time you’re comfortable putting him back in. It depends on how much of his behavior you want to deal with. If he’s not hurting them, I’d put him back in and let them work it out. You may have enough now that will accept his “attentions” since they are close, that he may leave the others alone. The only way to know is to try it.

I would say that he can rejoin them any time you’re comfortable putting him back in. It depends on how much of his behavior you want to deal with. If he’s not hurting them, I’d put him back in and let them work it out. You may have enough now that will accept his “attentions” since they are close, that he may leave the others alone. The only way to know is to try it.
Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it! 😊 He seems to be happy enough being able to see them only and I’ve only had them separate for four days now so I’ll give it a little time and then try re-introducing him.😊
The girls definitely seem a lot happier without him there to be honest.🤣

UPDATE:
So now 6 weeks later, my silkie cockerel has become overly amorous to the young ladies. They clearly do not appreciate his advances. Seeing a lot of feathers in the run, I have seen him pulling the girls feathers out.
I sectioned off a corner of the run for him, so he can still see his flockmates, and put him in there during the day. When all the girls have gone in at night to roost, I put him in with them. He goes back in his section first thing in the mornings. This seems to be working out OK. He does not seem unhappy about it. Much less squawking going on and the girls seem happier.
Question is, when can he rejoin them? When they all have started laying? A few of the 11 girls are close. They are all between 4 and 6 months of age. Only one laying is the older hen. It can be several months still for some of the breeds I have. Any thoughts?:)
Is he pulling feathers out on purpose? Like chasing them down and yanking feathers out? Or on accident by grabbing their necks while mounting and trodding on their backs?
I think in the beginning, it's pretty awkward and feathers can be collateral damage. Especially if the girls are not crouching for him.
If he is pulling their feathers out on purpose, that's not okay, that's a real problem. And keeping him separated for a longer time till his hormones settle is best. I'm no expert. I have heard people here say nine months to a year.
If after that, he's still doing it, then a more permanent solution may be in order.

Back
Top Bottom