Rooster questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jerseyjack, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Jerseyjack

Jerseyjack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    I have 14 rir hens, they are 11 weeks old. These are my first birds, all happy and healthy. I am thinking about adding a rooster to the flock, should the roo also be a rir? Should I get a roo about the same age or does age not matter? What are the downsides of having a roo, besides the cockadoodle doin? Thanks

2. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    You don'y have to have the same breed. and age all depends on if your birds are sexually mature. 11 weeks is a little earley for a adult rooster. I would wait until the hens start laying to add a adult rooster, But If I were you I would suggest possibly a younger rooster around there age.

By the way I wouldent suggest a RIR for you first rooster, they are known for being agressive, but there are some nice RIRs out there.

3. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    search craigslist people have roosters on there all the time.

cons of a rooster

1. can be agressive toward humans
    2.agressive toward the hens
    3.loud
    4.thinks it owns the coop
    5.can give hens missing feathers while mating

if you get a rooster that is like number 1. and 2. GET RID OF HIM

Pros

fertile eggs
    protection for the hens
    makes the eggs more heathy(fertile eggs)
    some pick hens treats
    if you like crowing ( I DO)
    and more...

4. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Roosters may crow, but in my opinion several hens cackling in the hen house is just as noisy as a rooster crowing. It would be helpful to find any gentle rooster not necessary RIR unless you plan on breeding for purely that specific breed. A young cockerel will be at age to breed in about 6 months depending on breed. Keep in mind one rooster for 14 hens is a good ratio. Also juvenile cockerel can tend to be a little rambunctious until they get settled and bit more mature.

We have several roosters all that remain with us are gentle and safe around my 4 year old son. If they are aggressive they end up in the freezer.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It's an old wive's tail that fertilized eggs are more healthy, fyi.

If you ever free range your birds....get a roo. If not...no need, unless you're planning on hatching some chicks. IMO, that's the long & short of it. If you do not free range & don't plan to hatch, it's basically another mouth to feed. JMO!!!

6. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Correct we had at one time 2 RIR Cockerels they can be agressive, they made wonderful soup. [​IMG]

7. Jerseyjack

Mar 31, 2011
    Thanks for the replies! My birds are free ranging, is there a specific breed known for being "less" aggressive or is it basically luck of the draw?

8. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Maybe a Cochin? They seem to be pretty laid back.

9. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    EEs, ive never had a problem.

The problem roosters for me are, red sexlinks, barred rock, RIR.

10. Jerseyjack

Mar 31, 2011
    Any opinions on a hamburg rooster, free on craigslist 6 weeks old. Since the hens are older, would that help in introducing a roo to the flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by