1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Ratio

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Daisy9696, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Daisy9696

Daisy9696 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Minnesota
    I am looking to getting a rooster. Do I need hens? I am getting 4 ducks and 2 geese that will be free range. I am also getting some Cornish meat birds that will be in a separate coop. If I choose to get a rooster this spring and let if be free range with my fowl, will they get along?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Yes, a rooster will do fine alone. Since free-range I would get one of breed known for free-range which excludes silkies / frizzles or breeds with similar defects imposing on weather tolerance or mobility. Also avoid smaller breeds like bantams as such are much more prone to persecution by hawks.

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Your rooster will certainly be happier if you have hens in your flock. Usually a ratio of 10 hens to 1 roo is recommended. I have only chickens but plenty of folks on here have mixed flocks and they get along fine, a long as they have sufficient living quarters. With your plan for separate coops and free ranging they should be fine. Hopefully someone with experience in mixed flocks will come along soon. Welcome to BYC, and have fun with your flock!

4. Daisy9696

Jul 9, 2012
    Minnesota
    If I get two hens and a rooster will that work?

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    You can get along with a single hen in a free-range setting. If you are lucky you may thus see rooster make genuine efforts into brood rearing if hen allowed to set.

6. Daisy9696

Jul 9, 2012
    Minnesota
    What breeds would you suggest?

7. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

I have a mixed flock with several bantams and about 18 standards with my big RIR rooster, he is fine with them all, the bantams stay away from him and he doesn't have much interest in the banties either so it works out great (the rooster can hurt the bantams as he is much bigger than them).
    Langshans are a very economical eater, a great forager, they are big enough to not be easily attacked by hawks, are great flyers so can keep them selves safe, are very friendly and are great hardy layers that will lay through winter. Sounds like the perfect breed for you.
    Side note: If you have drakes they do not mix well with hens as they can badly hurt them when they try to mount them.

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    That very much depends on what your interest in chickens is. Why are you interested in chickens in first place?

9. Daisy9696

Jul 9, 2012
    Minnesota
    Always have been interested. I used to have them and haven't had any for years

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Only a pair limits productivity of eggs and meat. Still allows for cool observations on behavior. A dual purpose breed might be a good start if either type of production desired.

Are you interested in having birds rear their own chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by