Rooster Reality Check Needed by City Chicken Gal

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yanna, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Yanna

Yanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Of my five little 2-3 week old dearies, one is a bantam rooster. He, of course, is the tamest and (no surprise) my favorite. We're waiting on a house deal to go through and once we're moved, I'm planning to build the coop in the garage with a dog door out to the chicken run.

There's nothing in the local law that prohibits poultry or roosters explicitly (I'm buying a house in another town and you BET I went through the municipal code with a fine tooth comb this time). My rationale is that as long as he's kept indoors in the mornings and not waking anyone up, there shouldn't be a problem. After all, a bantam rooster isn't going to be any louder than - oh, say - my pitbull, right? Or even a much smaller dog?

If I'm being unrealistic, I need to cut the cord right now before it becomes far too hard to rehome the little guy (and boy, is he a sweetheart).

Talk to me!

Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    I wouldnt hold my breathe about him not crowing loudly! I had a little bantam roo that just burst my ear drums every time he crowed! It made me so mad he would do it when i was right next to him for kicks i swear. hopefully yours wont be so loud.

3. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    My bantam Faverolle is quite loud when he crows ..even inside the garage... so I dunno what to tell ya. On the other hand, my little Sizzle roo is not so loud and you have to really try to hear him, if he's inside and you're out...

Good Luck! [​IMG]

4. LindaN

LindaN Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Chicago
    Keep him and give it a try. You won't be breaking the law, and you're obviously interested in being a good neighbor. Not everyone objects to the sound of a rooster crowing.

Just be careful about how you approach this in your new town with your new neighbors. If he ends being too loud and you find you have to re-home him because you and/or your new neighbors don't care for the noise, make sure they know that you are working on finding him a good home.

The risk you run is that someone will get nasty and not be willing to work with you through the situation. Even if it is legal to raise chickens, there are nuisance laws that relate to noise, filth, etc. A nasty neighbor can invoke these to shut you down. So, be nice and be respectful.

Edited to ask: So, if you're in Chicago now, to which town are you moving? Just curious. I'm in Chicago now and have 3 hens, plus 4 more in the brooder. I guess I'm just going to keep spreading the "chicken love" (e.g. free eggs) to even more neighbors once I have 7 hens laying!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by