Rooster Recipes?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by RedBreasted, Jul 13, 2018.

1. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Chirping

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    I’m going to kill my *accidental* rooster so I can sleep and don’t have my neighbors or the police coming to my doorstep. It’s gonna be a farewell to my EE but he’s around 3-4 months old. I’m just asking for recipes that’s simple and delicious. (Rather butcher it over giving it away)

Saaniya likes this.

2. Beer can

Beer can Free Ranging

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Just started crowing? You can pretty much cook him up anyway you want.
    Just make sure when you process him you let him 'rest' after in the fridge for a couple few days, let's the rigor mortis get out of them, gets the tough out.
    I marinate them, garlic and herb or and Italian dressing. Beat a egg up and add it to the marinade, that is the key to getting it to stick. And then just toss on the grill.

WhiteWyan and PotatoHead like this.
  3. WhiteWyan

WhiteWyan Songster

May 17, 2017
    Ulster Park
    I've never heard of adding egg to marinade for chicken. I'll have to try that.

4. Saaniya

Saaniya Songster

Aug 31, 2017
    Delhi

This Is really curel step it's the moral liberty of roosters to Crow I've only roosters & for them I fought with anyone they deserve to live long just like hens

5. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    Hey, I have one whose "moral liberty" is to crow starting at 2 am, I'll send him your way!

Saaniya likes this.
  6. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    I saw a nice chicken salad recipe on Rachel Ray today... I'm sure it is posted on her site, looked quite delicious, she sliced the chicken breasts before cooking... I'll have to find it. I have been cooking mine into chicken cacciatore and eating with spaghetti...

7. Saaniya

Saaniya Songster

Aug 31, 2017
    Delhi

My rooster also Crow around 3-4 am
    Newly teens who stared learning crow earlier sure if I live near u I adopt ur roo .:D
    You can seek for no crow coller or other ways to stop his crow instead of killing him:hit

8. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    I'm not going to eat Johnny, the EE rooster that crows at 2am, but those Speckled Sussex fellows are history, sorry. It will be my moral liberty to have them for dinner. They are obnoxious and totally immoral and like to beat on each other and harass the female of the species.

BlueBaby and Saaniya like this.
  9. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Chirping

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Butchering a roo is a last resort. I thought of buying velcro strips on making my own collar but afraid it's gonna choke him or I don't have enough patience. I live in an urban area so I know roosters aren't allowed and also isn't my fault that I lost the chance that one of the baby chicks I bought from the hatchery turned out to be a rooster. Well, goodbye to Blueberry next week or two weeks later... might going to just make fried chicken out of him, although I would like to try marinating it with eggs.

Saaniya likes this.

10. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crowing

If you lived near me, I would give you all of my extra 4 young rooster's for free. I have too many!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Saaniya likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by