Rooster Rehoming SUCCESS!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by malkered, Mar 10, 2016.

1. malkered

malkered Chillin' With My Peeps

Last year I did a few hatches resulting in 9 roosters and 15 hens.

After realising that I was too attached to the boys to even consider growing them for the table (the original plan) I kept them until they grew into adolescence and set about looking for homes for them.

Bo and Chip, two Light Sussex were the first success. With the help of a local farm, feed and poultry supplier they were each rehomed to head their own flocks. Likewise Tilly (originally thought to be a hen) - a White Leghorn was rehomed too.

Pierre and Floyd, two Bresse roosters, along with Pinky a bresse hen, went to another farm nearby.

Pingu, a very large Barred Rock rooster heads up our flock of LF hens.

Patch, a Gold Pencilled Hamburg bantam heads up our small group of bantam hens.

I took Terry, our Red Leghorn rooster to a new home 45 miles away to his own flock of ten hens.

Finally, Matt, our Icelandic Rooster went to his new home heading up a flock of 26 hens.

I'm so pleased that they all ended up in new, happy lives.

I've now also got room for more hens.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You got pretty lucky finding that many good homes. Are you done hatching or will you try again. I don't hatch much because of the roosters, which I have plenty of.

3. malkered

malkered Chillin' With My Peeps

It took a lot of time, effort and miles but was well worth it, I've done my boys proud and keep in touch with several of their new keepers.

I've just done a fairly unsuccessful hatch with 3/16 mail order eggs hatching and 3/6 of our own eggs hatching but unfortunately we had 2 deaths so I have 4 in the brooder now.

I've also just put 6 Pekin bantam eggs and 3 of our Hamburgh bantam eggs in the 'bator this evening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by