Rooster rejecting only one particular hen. He spurred her pretty bad yesterday.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickie Baby, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Chickie Baby

Chickie Baby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2014
    My rooster has 28 hens and all of the hens are laying. I have one buff orpington that he will mate and then attack. A while back I had to put her in the isolation pen because he almost pulled her comb completely off. I treated her and it healed up nicely and now each time I try to integrate them, he attacks her and I have to put her by herself. She submits when he gets near her and he mates her but right after he beats her up. I have no idea what could be wrong with him or her or both.

Any ideas? She is laying, and has been for quite some time. She was bleeding very bad from the puncture yesterday. I really think I'll have to keep them separated from now on. This just doesn't make sense to me.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Isolate her from flock. When I have had such something is wrong with the hen. Her voice has abruptly changed or she has a visual problem.

3. Chickie Baby

Chickie Baby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2014
    Thank you for the feedback centrarchid! Now that you point it out, I'll pay more attention to her vision. She honks a good bit, but I have several in the flock that honk. I'll continue to keep her separated. She doesn't seem to mind being on her own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by