Rooster Rescue

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BettyGF, Jan 11, 2015.

1. BettyGF

BettyGF New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    I[​IMG]
    I rescued this big, tailless fellow yesterday in my neighborhood. So far I haven't found his owner. The neighborhood has some bad dogs that make chicken raising impossible without outstanding fencing. I found his tail feathers, which are black with a green sheen. His breast is the same patterned, auburn color as his back. His gray/black feet are featherless and his comb single. Can you help me figure out his breed. He doesn't have the white earlobe of a leghorn, though his ear feathers do look light in the picture. Could he be some variety of marans? Thank you. Betty

2. chickenman5024

chickenman5024 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2014
    Texas
    He is an Easter egger for sure he is very pretty

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Easter Egger.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Agreed, hatchery type Easter Egger. Good looking guy. Glad you saved the poor thing. Bet it was a dog that pulled out the tail feathers.

The comb isn't really a single, but a combination type you get when a pea combed bird isn't pure for the pea comb gene, as in he has some single comb gene lurking in there, not unusual for EEs.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Easter Egger.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

7. BettyGF

BettyGF New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    Cool! Thanks, folks.

Easter Eggers hadn't even crossed my mind. I've never had EEs but other a lot people in our area do. I asked all over my neighborhood today, where ever I could catch people at home, without finding his original home. In case I don't find his owner, what's their temperament generally like? I have him separated from my little silky roo. He's heavy and much bigger than the silky so I'm hoping he'll turn out to be sweet and docile.

The people whose yard I found him in said he'd been there since about Wednesday, and when the bad dogs came around, he'd hide under their truck, so I have no doubt that's what happened. He is one smart, crafty boy. And certainly a looker. I'll check that comb again tomorrow.

Betty

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote: There is no "generally" with EEs. They are of mixed genetics, so you can't generalize about them in pretty much any way at all, including temperament. They can be sweet or mean as snakes.

9. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    X2

10. BettyGF

BettyGF New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    Oh, my goodness! I hope he's the sweet temperament type. If he's not, he may be back out there hanging with the dogs again. (Not really. I'll find a solution.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by