Rooster Reserve Corps

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
This is an idea I have... We all hatch out too many roosters, right? I'm thinking about getting hatching eggs for a very gamey breed, like Asil, and let one rooster free range with the hens while the other roosters are "on reserve" in separate pens. If a predator shows up, the main rooster will fight it. If rooster can get a few good licks in, the predator will probably think twice about coming back. When the main rooster dies in battle, then rotate one of his brothers in to lead the flock.

The worst predators we have are coyotes, and this is only for daytime. Does this plan make sense?

I don't think any rooster is a good match against coyotes and while gamefowl will certainly fight other chickens, there's no guarantee they'll take on large predators. They will fight each other though, so you'd need a seperate pen for each rooster in your corps. I do think it's unfortunate you consider them disposable. Gamefowl are beautiful and intelligent. If you had one brave enough to take on a coyote, it would be a shame to lose it so cruelly.

I think the whole idea is sort of impractical. Game roosters will fight one another. Do you really want to put each one in a separate pen, then have to feed, water, and clean each pen on a regular schedule , on a "just in case" basis? What will you do with the cross bred offspring who will also fight one another? You'll look like you are running a gamefowl farm. That is a lot of work, why don't you get yourself a livestock guardian instead. Expecting a rooster to deal with predator issues, especially coyote, is like bringing a slingshot to a gunfight.

The problem with your plan is you assume that the roosters would die, but in the process scare away whatever predator is trying to kill your hens. Most likely, the predator wouldn't stop just because a rooster sacrificed himself trying to fight it. Your hens would be just as bad off, rooster or no rooster.
Also, you assume every game rooster would be willing to try and fend off a coyote... The truth is, most of them wouldn't stand up to something like that. Yes, even game roosters.

Okay, thank you this is the kind of feedback I am looking for. If getting spurred in the face is not enough to make a coyote back off, then my plan is not going to work.
Best thing for a Coyote or something hunting your flock is a good old gun, tif they are harassing your birds or coming on your property with intention of eating your birds you can shoot them, but you'd better be a dang good shot cause if your gonna shoot you shoot to kill

I love my old roo, even though when he molts I wanna feed him Midol. he's 5 going on 6 years old and still producing gorgeous chicks and a good flock protector and people friendly, he's getting older though and starting to think of a replacement one but he is here until he's no longer as my girls would accept another one for mating but would probably die of sadness he's been with therm so long and so good to them too.

Well, not all roos with fight for you. Some are right... jerks and would rather attack you. Plus I have gound a delay in hatch to protection status. In my experience it doesn't matter HOW many roos you have, predators are still an issue. Especially if none are mature roos.

We had a mature roo and 4 hens do fiiiine for a while but then got an additional 50 or so birds from a hatchery. Our mature roo had become a pain, so he went to freezer camp when the other birds were a few months old and free ranging. Then came the predators. WOW. It has started to slow now finally. Our roos have begun to act like roos finally. They alert to hawks and other things that seem amiss, and they are taking on other roosterly duties.

We don't pen any separate. All our birds free range other than babies or those set to be dinner. Yeah, the roos square off and bicker a bit, but that too is settling down as they are establishing their heirarchy. We will thin the numbers as we get hungry, they start to fight, or they start to go after people like George did. I don't claim to be an expert, and we do have well over 60 acres, but this is what we do so far.

The original inspiration for the plan was that I want to hatch more chicks next season, but I hate culling cockerels. I really don't enjoy dispatching them. So I thought if I pick a game breed, I can keep extra roos on reserve. With regular breeds, there is no reason to keep extra roos "just in case" because you have no idea if they'll be good protectors.
Ahhh, there we go.
But do you just want to hatch in general or do you specifically want to hatch game birds?

Back
Top Bottom