1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 3dognite, Jul 8, 2016.

1. 3dognite

3dognite Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    Walworth, WI
    Hi. I was hoping someone could help me out with a couple of my chickens. Is there any chance this one is a hen? You can kind of see it's twin in the background who has been noisily cockadoodle dooing away for the last 3 weeks but this guy hasn't made a peep. They are 15 week old Marans mix, olive eggers. I'm not really sure what they are mixed with...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any hens in these photos?
    Thank you!

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, he's also a cockerel, and absolutely stunning! :D

~Alex

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    gorgeous cockerel

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Cockerel. In the back of the second photo, above the front cockerel's comb is a pullet. And there might be a pullet right under him (black), but I'd need a picture of her to confirm. Other than that I see five cockerels. Maybe six, but I'm not sure if I counted one twice.

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Individual photos of each bird you have will help us determine how many cockerels you actually have but I can certainly see 4 or possibly 5 in the first photo including the one centre stage.
    If you do have any hens you need to identify them and pen them separately soon because otherwise they will be mated to death by these guys and the cockerels will start to fight over them.
    I think the tail in the bottom left hand corner of the first photo belongs to a pullet and you can see the head and shoulders of a pullet in the top left hand corner of the second photo but it may be the same one.

I hope you like chicken soup! [​IMG]

6. 3dognite

3dognite Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    Walworth, WI
    Thank you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate your help. You guys are really good at this! I think I already knew the answer but just needed confirmation.
    Now how do I go about choosing which ones to keep? I'm not planning on showing them, we just want them for eggs and pets.

7. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    How many hens do you have?

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I think you will find that the cockerels will not lay eggs [​IMG] so that leaves you with the pet option. Choosing a cockerel as a pet is difficult because it is a bit of a lottery and looking at them, they are on the point of suffering from raging hormones which will drastically affect their temperament and behaviour..... I hate adolescent roosters! [​IMG] Keeping them through that phase is usually harassing for you and the hens, unless you isolate them into a bachelor pad, particularly if your hens are also juvenile and few in number, as it appears. I would recommend that you don't keep more than one unless you have lots of hens and free range. After that it is going to come down to which one you like the best but base it on personality/temperament more than looks.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    If you don't plan to breed and set/hatch eggs. I wouldn't keep a rooster.

10. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Roosters are good for protecting the other chickens though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by