Rooster Right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jamierae16, Feb 23, 2013.

1. jamierae16

jamierae16 New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    He Everyone I just joined BYC and wanted some opinions on my 5 week old slw. I believe this little chick is totally rooster but wanted some side options. Thanks

Also on a side note we have 2, 5 week old chicks one being the slw and ended up getting another chick about 3 weeks old so if the slw is a rooster we are not introducing a lone chick to our older girls. However the 5 week olds are not taking to the younger chick. Will this get better? When the potential rooster is gone with the other two bond? Just wondering. It get complicated when you live in a area that limits chickens to 4.
    [​IMG]

2. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    %100 a male, they should get used to each other before long when you introduce the new chick

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, sorry that looks like a boy to me :( eventually the chickens will sort out the pecking order themselves.

4. jamierae16

jamierae16 New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks for the input. Im just nervous the older pullet our br won't friend the new chick before going into our flock. 2 week difference in age could be a factor?

5. jamierae16

jamierae16 New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    Also I've never had to rehome a rooster. Any thoughts?

6. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Craigslist! And if you're not averse to it, many farms will take a roo for free, but he will probably end up being someone's dinner...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by