Rooster ripped off one of his spurs

LulaBell

Songster
Jul 22, 2018
Southeast Ohio
Our flock free ranges....my husband was outside and discovered our rooster Fred was bleeding heavily from his left foot. Once I was able to catch him we discovered his spur was hanging on by a thread. We snipped it the rest of the way off, got him cleaned and bandaged, and gave a dose of Tylan50.

Besides infection is there anything I need to worry about? I plan on giving the antibiotic for the next 3-5 days. He tolerates the bandage well and the rest of the flock is leaving it alone. Topically I’m using vetericyn hydrogel.

Am I missing anything?

I do not have pictures of the wound. We were too concerned with stopping the bleeding and getting him bandaged. I will post some tomorrow when I change his bandage.

D92C9209-F5A5-429E-B2D0-7C73CD5732ED.jpeg

You can use blu-kote, plain neosporin (no pain killer) or veterycin. You may have to keep it wrapped (I would just use some coflex bandaging) to protect it until it scabs over. As long as there is no infection it will heal up, and the spur will probably grow back eventually.
I've had them lose spurs on occasion, and there were no long term problems, spurs grew back.

My older rooster has lost both his spurs on separate occasions, and were found hours later. The blood usually clots on it’s own, and mine did fine afterward. Later though his spurs grew back, but grew into the back of his leg. I had to remove them with pliers since they had grown back so thickly that my dog nail clippers were not large enough to trim them. He tolerated that precedure as well. The nice thing is they grew back in with a dull tip.

Back
Top Bottom