rooster ripping hens comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jferlisi, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So i am having a problem with my rooster who is just over 5 months who is only mating with two of my hens. He doesn't hurt one of them when he mates with her but when he does with my leghorn he is ripping up her comb. I noticed she has some scrapes on it before but there was no blood so i didn't make anything of it. But tonight when i was locking up my chickens for the night i believe he mated with her around on the corner of the coop cause i could hear her squack. I noticed she had blood on her coming from her comb. So i started to clean it with warm water and noticed he had cut one of the peak parts of the comb and he is also ripping off the comb from the scalp. Is there something i can do so he doesn't keep hurting her. I dont want to get ride of him because he is so nice but i cant have him ripping up my girls. please help me out.

2. rockmaster

rockmaster Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    I have read in a book that some roosters are not to nice to hens that have a differant combs than the others, in other words she is differant. That being said you do have a problem He will continue to attack her in a abusive way. My only suggestion would be if you had another coop say at a far distance from the original coop and brought in a new rooster much like herself this will eliminate this problem keep in mind they must have their own space they will establish their own territory and you should be fine. I have 2 coops on my land and they do just fine. Good Luck Rockmasters momma

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Seperate him from the hens until both he and the hens are more mature. When they are more willing to mate he will not have to be so agressive. He is probably only mating two of the hens because they are the most sexually mature. Once he starts spreading his lovin' around there may be less wear and tear.

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ok thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by