Rooster Rodeo! Pics Added

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pupsnpullets, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    My gardeners brought me a little rooster today as replacement for my big fella that disappeared down the gullet of some varmint, probably a fox, about a month ago. Well, the little dude escaped as they were unloading him. I was tempted to leave him alone and allow him to find his own way to the girls, but visions of his predessor disappearing in broad daylight were crossing my mind.

And so began the rodeo! What a lively little booger he is! However, with considerable help from my blind aussie (yep he's still a herding dog and an enthusiastic one) we caught my little roo. I have in a cage separate from the girls but right next to them. My big white Momma is already trying to dominate him through the wire. She's quite the B-with-an-itch. Later on when everyone settles down and the little fella catches his breath I'll take a picture of him and have you guys help me i.d him. I was thinking game bird but he has a pea comb and he is quite small, though not bantam sized.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cool! He's sounds interesting, so I'll be waiting to see your pics.
    Regardless of where you got him from it would really be a good idea to have quarantined him away from your hens though.
    Good luck with him. [​IMG]

3. Pupsnpullets

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Yes, I was wondering about quarrantine. How long for?

4. SuperCoco

SuperCoco Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    That sounds VERY interesting. I'll be waiting to see your pics![​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I usually go 30 days- the longest 30 days ever! But better safe....

6. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    He's probably an EE (Easter Egger).

7. Pupsnpullets

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Well, it's been a few days and when I got my new rooster, Sebatian, settled down enough for photos my computer went on go-slow! Anyway, I'm hoping that these pictures come through and I can get your opinion on his breed, or combination there of. As you can see he's looking a little dishevelled but I'm sure he'll be ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    looks like a black- breasted GAME to me...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by