Rooster rules?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mangobingo, Nov 2, 2010.

1. mangobingo

mangobingo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    A couple of months ago, we got two BO hens (2 years old), a Barred Rock, an Australorp and two Silkies (all supposedly about 6 months old). Everything was fine until we had to go away for 3 weeks, leaving the "girls" in the care of a kind friend. We got back last night, and were woken at 05:30 this morning by CROWING coming from the coop - turns out one of the silky babies is a ROOSTER!! We really had no idea...

So I guess we've got some reading to do (we'd like to keep him if we can), but do any of you have any rooster-keeping tips that we should know about? He's currently living with the other 5 hens, sharing a coop at night, free-ranging all day, and with access to layer pellets to supplement the grass and bugs etc. Any changes that I need to make urgently?? We weren't prepared for this!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just treat him like one of the chickens, and if he starts to become aggressive to you adjust his attitude and reaffirm the fact that you are dominant. Since he is a silky, hopefully he will remain on the mellow side.

3. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I also got surprised with a cockerel some months ago. He and I were very close and he was my baby, UNTIL...he started crowing and becoming a man. Now, every day is the same thing. He comes and does his little mating dance, I can't pick him up normally (it normally involves a mild chase), and he has drawn blood on me once. I do smack him when he tries to court me and I make sure to hold him every day. I hope he doesn't stay like this. It isn't that it's a big bother or I am afraid of him being too aggressive, it is just getting annoying and repetitive at this point. I have faith in his though, and I am very glad to have him around. Not to mention he is absolutely beautiful. Another thing, he crows all day long...but I love it. I wish I had a recent pic.

He's just a baby here...about two weeks old...

[​IMG]

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Just go with the flow and treat him like the rest of your birds. Silkies roos arent likely to be much of a problem. You may even want to take advantage of the situation and hatch out some chicks come next spring!

5. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Treat him like the rest of your gals. [​IMG]

I've got a whole "bachelor pad" of boys and they all get along great, both with each other and me. I even have camera hogs. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mangobingo

mangobingo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Oh, that doesn't sound too bad at all! I haven't read much about roosters but I had a vague impression that they were trouble. So, if the neighbours are OK with him, we'll just keep him in with the girls and see what happens. Silkie chicks next spring would be lovely!

Thanks for the link, Yazzo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by