Rooster rumble.......badly injured rooster, eyes bloodied - pic added

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NellaBean, Jul 18, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I was gone all day yesterday and my petsitter misread my instructions and not only opened the coop, baby coop, broody pen and duckcage as instructed.....but also the rooster pen and the breeding coop. 3 Extra cranky roosters in the yard and I found a bloodied and seemingly near death bantam rooster. His whole head is bald and bloody and it appears to be sealing his eyes shut. I have tried using a wet papertowel to soak his face to try to get them open but have had no luck.....what else can I do to get his face cleaned up and his eyes open? Poor guy is so sad. I have him in a cage in the house temporarily.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Keep him separated like you're doing and I'd probably try to rinse the skin with saline if you can get some, since it won't hurt his eyes if it gets in. There's probably not much you can do to open his eyes, they may be swollen shut from bruising of the skin or because of the other wounds. If it looks like they are actually crusted shut, that's a little different. Make sure when you soak the skin that you're using warm water and don't give up too early. Blood can take a while to soften up. You can try to use q-tips to clean with and neosporin (no antibiotic) afterward.

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I have had the same thing with my poor muscovey drake. One of the turkey pulled all his feathers out of the top of his head and he has cuts under his eyes. He has been seperated now for three days and I have been spraying iodine on his head (after i washed it ) and i have usd 3% peroxide on a cotton ball to clean the cuts under his eyes. he sure doen't look pretty right now but he seems to be getting a little better each day.

4. SG_Chicken

SG_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    oh no poor thing. I hope he bounces back.

5. 500592

500592 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    you could also try callin a vet for advice or mabey treatment but good luck

6. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    give him goat colostrum if you can get it [​IMG]
    you can soak his eyes in it too (just a bit on a cotton ball held on the eye like a compress).

7. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The injury is going to look a lot worse before it starts looking better. His eyes should start opening in about three days or so.

Keep him in a small pen and show him where the food and water is and he should do fine. Watch for fly eggs around the wounds and use a moist washcloth to soak off the blood around the eyes.

8. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I think his eyes are both swollen and sealed shut. I put some vaseline on his head since I have had no luck whatsoever getting them unsealed. I was able to get a tiny slit on one side, but not enough for him to see through. I did get him to drink some water though. He is in really bad shape and just laying there. He gets depressed easily.....hoping he will start doing better.

[​IMG]

Poor Mr Mottled. He is a little jerk but one of my favorites [​IMG]

9. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    OH poor thing . He looks as sad as my poor scovey does right now. I hope for us both that they recover quickly and are back to their old selves soon.

10. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Mr mottled is doing okay. I was able to get one eye partially open..........he still doesnt' seem to see out of it though. I rubbed a bunch of vaseline on the other side last night, hoping to soften the crust on the other side up.......and as of this morning that eye was open a tiny bit as well. He is eating well and drinking.......lots of pooping....he crows at 7am every morning, repeatedly....and even does some of the treat dancing/clucking rooster thing. He will move into a private breeder coop (sans ladies) if he recovers. If he is completely blind, I may not keep him around....just not sure what quality of life he would have. If he has at least partial vision, he can stick around. His face and head is still extremely red and swollen.....poor guy. He is much happier though. He is still in that little blue tub in my extra bedroom. Enjoying the air conditioning (65 degrees in the house) and the bunnies are in their own tub next to him, so he has a little company.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by