Rooster runs from hens

nitric

Hatching
Jul 16, 2022
So my rooster is about full grown, I can not get him to be top of pecking order. I didn't raise him with my other flock until about 6 months old. This is my 5th rooster and all of them run from the hens. I need a rooster to keep them all in line and protect them ( also Fertilize eggs )The rooster in question is a Wyandotte breed. Any advice would be amazing.

So my rooster is about full grown, I can not get him to be top of pecking order. I didn't raise him with my other flock until about 6 months old. This is my 5th rooster and all of them run from the hens. I need a rooster to keep them all in line and protect them ( also Fertilize eggs )The rooster in question is a Wyandotte breed. Any advice would be amazing.
He'll adjust, I'd leave him be, unless you see him get plucked by the hens. I had a rooster get cannibalized by some hens years ago, & it wasn't pretty.

Sometimes when there are no roosters around a hen will take his place at the top of the pecking order. And since she is the top of the pecking order she doesn't want someone else taking her spot and will run off the roo. Have you watched and seen if someone is doing this?

I purchased a roo under a year. He is a sweety and is now over a year old and does his job swimmingly. I had a group of hens with my leghorns that a friend had given me. They were a bigger breed and bossy and used to being roo-less. Anytime mr roo would try to do his "business" with my leghorns, they would chase him off. I gave said 4 hens to my mom and Mr roo was able to do his business with the leghorns and be at the top of the pecking order. Fast forward to now..I have pullets not in lay. He is sweet to them and is not doing his business with them, a good roo won't mess with non-laying girls. He also busts up squabbles between hens. My suggestion is, watch your flock..see who alpha hen is and segregate her. The pecking order will either; (A) change in the roosters favor. Or (B) another hen will take her spot. Or you could (C) wait till he is a year old and officially a cock..he might be alpha..or he might not. Some hens can be pretty mean to roosters.

Sometimes when there are no roosters around a hen will take his place at the top of the pecking order. And since she is the top of the pecking order she doesn't want someone else taking her spot and will run off the roo. Have you watched and seen if someone is doing this?
Yeah I have 4 barred hens that are top of pecking order.( Main reason I need rooster, they are very mean to entire flock) Maybe I do what last post said and segregate them from flock for a while?

Hey two of the four hens I gave my mom were barred rocks. I'd give it a go if I were you. I mean maybe you might want to hatch in the future to.
Yeah I have 4 barred hens that are top of pecking order.( Main reason I need rooster, they are very mean to entire flock) Maybe I do what last post said and segregate them from flock for a while?

How old is he? How old are the hens? If he’s under a year old, your cockerel most likely just isn’t mature enough for the job yet. Give him time. There is a world of difference in the behaviors of a young cockerel vs a mature rooster. You are correct that *you* cannot get him to the top of the pecking order. That is a place he has to find all on his own, and he has to earn it.

Back
Top Bottom