Rooster, S H U T U P

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by joebryant, Sep 18, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Honest to Pete, I don't know how/why my neighbors take it. I call them, and they have no complaints, but I can't stand constant crowing.
    I had two beautiful bbs Orpington roosters until yesterday, a black one (alpha) and a blue younger one. The blue one was crowing non-stop all day, driving me bananas. I called a BYC member who wanted him, and he came and took the loudmouth away. If I were one of my neighbors, none of whom have chickens, I'd be throwing a fit about the noise. I'm really lucky to have great neighbors.

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    You are indeed. I bet they are secretly VERY GLAD they didn't have to be the one to tell you to get rid of him.

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    The neighborhood just got a little quieter... You must be well-liked by your neighbors, otherwise they would have complained! [​IMG]

4. birdsNbeesNseeds

birdsNbeesNseeds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Yep, I have days like that too....

Sometimes I'm wondering if today will be the day my nieghbor will come over and say, "You need to do something about the noise!!!"

Maybe you got lucky just before they were about to come over! [​IMG]

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Yes, it's very nice to have a neighbor like that. Before my roos got big enough to process, they were crowing all of the time too. I saw my neighbor outside one day and apologized to him and explained to him that once they got big enough, they'd be gone....He actually said he LIKES hearing them crowing....that he'll actually sit out during the day and just listen to them....said that it relaxes him........

[​IMG] WooHoo for awesome neighbors [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I love to hear crowing, too. I once had one who would crow directly under my bedroom window about 3 AM -- now that was a bit much -- but now that they are 150' or so away, it's great.

This is a rural area, "lots" of several acres, and I hear roos crowing across the street, up the street, down the street, and behind me. A fussy neighbor would have a lot of people to complain to.

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I've heard the same thing from my neighbors. They must think it makes the neighborhood seem pastoral.
    BTW, that was not the first continuous loudmouth I've had with no complaints ever. The last one just about did me in. Honestly, they are right outside my living room window, and there were times I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown... seriously.

8. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:I have a male duck that gets under my skin like that at times, too...all day, all night, non-stop "wakwakwakwakwakwakwakwak....*breathe*...wakwakwakkawakawakwak..."

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I had a silkie rooster that loved the sound of his own voice. You have my utmost sympathy! My beautiful black copper marans rooster might be in for rehoming if he wasn't so good looking. He likes to hold the last note of his crow until it fades out into a screech. It's amazing what a rational women will put up with from a good looking guy! [​IMG]

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I think it's just the stress of worrying about your neighbors that gets you down about the rooster noise. If you lived somewhere that you knew for sure there was zero chance they were bothering anyone but you, you could just learn to sleep through it no problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by