Rooster(s) Hard on a hen(s)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tacswa3, May 11, 2019.

1. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Songster

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    I have 2 separated flocks. One w/ 11 hens and a rooster and one with 5 hens and a rooster. Both flocks have a hen or two with bare meat/skin showing on their back from the rooster constantly mating them. My plan has always been to add the small flock to the large one, just haven't done it yet. That will give me 2 roosters to 15 hens (fox recently got one).

Anything I can do besides separate the rooster or hens to allow the hens to heal up?

2. Tycine1

Tycine1 Songster

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    Have you had both flocks over 1 month (quarantine period)? Assuming your answer is 'yes', then have these two flocks had 2+weeks that they could see each other but not touch? If so, integrate them now. This *should* eventually balance out the hen to rooster ratio, to eliminate the over breeding. If they've not had any "Look, but don't touch" time with the other flock, then you need to arrange for that to happen. In the meantime, treat your flock(s) with a mixture of finely ground rice & split peas to boost their methionine & lysine amino acids (both used by chickens to (re)grow feathers.) As with all treats, limit to no more than 10% of their daily intake of food, could add enough unsweetened yogurt to that to make a sort of crumble or mash to also boost their gut bacteria which in turn will boost their immune systems, which will be stressed come integration time. How long has it been since you've wormed both flocks? Now might be a good time to do that. Preventative is so much easier than curative.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Or just put both roosters in one pen, hens in the other.

4. HenHouse4Life

HenHouse4Life GrandmaOnDuty

Mar 22, 2016
    Mid Michigan
    If you want to keep your flocks as is you can always put a chicken saddle on your hens

5. RoosterML

RoosterML Songster

Same issue here with a couple hens. I purchased 7 saddles, put them on for about 10 minutes and took them off. They moved and looked uncomfortable to the bird. To me saddles are a waste of money don’t do it.

6. I have one rooster and about 9 hens right now and my guy is always mating the hens and none of the girls have missing feathers. I think some roosters are unnessarily rough.
    I would watch and see what is going on and only keep one rooster with your hens. Is it possible you have a feather picking problem instead?
    If your roosters have spurs trim them back.
    If he is still causing bareness on them, get a different rooster. I would not tollerate it for my girls.

7. I had the same problem with my rooster. I have 5 hens that were missing feathers. They are all the same age just barely a year and apparently young roosters get a little rowdy before they fully mature. I built a "bachelor pad" for my rooster and the girls are growing their feathers back. One thing I need to add is I noticed the girls were picking their feathers as well. I'm using "pick no more" and it seems to be working. I have 3 young pullets I am integrating slowly, so I'm hoping with 8 girls the over mating should subside once they are altogether.

CaramelKittey and janiedoe like this.
  8. RoosterML

RoosterML Songster

9. janiedoe

janiedoe Songster

May 7, 2017
    East Texas
    I was "shocked" to see your post...thought I had written it myself in my sleep ;) I was just telling my husband this morning that I was considering shooting a rooster.
    I have the exact same issue with my one year old Easter egger rooster. He has 11 hens and several have bare backs. He is rough on them. I love him like a dog. He even acts like a dog...follows me around and begs for mealworms.
    My second rooster is a jerk. He is a nice looking boy but not one I'd turn my back on. He has 5 hens and their feathers are just a little worn but I caught him pulling feathers from them and grabbing wings. His execution date has been set.
    I am trying to decide whether to give the first one away, house him separately, or to cull him. It's a hard decision because I'm so fond of him but I don't want my hens beat up.

10. Yes, he is alone. His bachelor pad is inside the main chicken run so he can see and speak to the ladies. No touching allowed. He has a nice sturdy roosting bar that he hops on and crows his little lungs out. His run area is 24 square feet plus the roost so he has enough space. I added a 32 square foot extension of the main run to compensate for the space lost so everyone has enough room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: