Rooster(s) Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sparks, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    Thank you in advance my all-knowing friends on BYC.
    Of my 13 pullets plus 2 Silkie Roos, 2 and possibly 3 have started crowing. I am thinking of rehoming the BR Roo and (my fav) Speckled Sussex Roo because I am concerned there are just too many. Also I am in the country but have neighbors close by. Their are a lot of young children that like to visit. So far the roos are friendly. They are all 20 weeks old. They insist they love our chickens but I am worried about the noise and safety.
    Our coop is 8 by 6. Their run is 21 by 19. They free range when I get home from work.
    Is it possible to keep all of them(roos) thru the winter and not have them hurt each other?
    Next question. I split my chicks with a friend and his have been laying for a week, would having the roosters slow things up regarding eggs?

2. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    If they are raised together they should be fine. They may squable here and there but nothing to bad. Thats what I have happen with with my roosters and I have 12!
    Good Luck
    Cristina

3. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Quote:that is good to know, cause my friend Freebie has 3 cockerels-barred rocks that are brothers.

4. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    Thanks for the speedy reply. Much appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by