Rooster Sanctuary in New England or NY areas?

rhs7111

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Would anyone know of a rooster sanctuary in the New England or NY area? My friend has a sweet roo (purebred but hatchery stock) and she cannot keep him---but she wants to be sure he doesn't end up on someone's plate. I know there are a few rooster sanctuaries on the west coast---are there any on the east coast? Thanks!

Quote:
X2 (unless you count the freezer....), and purebred hatchery stock?

Yup, there indeed are rooster sanctuaries (as my initial post noted---sigh) for those people who want a humane life for roosters whom they cannot keep themselves. I know there is one such place on the west coast, and I was hoping there might be one located on the east coast. As far as purebred hatchery stock, YUP again. While hatcheries may not have show stock, they certainly do have purebred stock---and of course some hatcheries have better stock than others. I mentioned that this roo was purebred hatchery stock to differentiate him from a barnyard cross, such as a RIR x BR, or some such. I hope this makes it all more clear for you.
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
X2 (unless you count the freezer....), and purebred hatchery stock?

Yup, there indeed are rooster sanctuaries (as my initial post noted---sigh) for those people who want a humane life for roosters whom they cannot keep themselves. I know there is one such place on the west coast, and I was hoping there might be one located on the east coast. As far as purebred hatchery stock, YUP again. While hatcheries may not have show stock, they certainly do have purebred stock---and of course some hatcheries have better stock than others. I mentioned that this roo was purebred hatchery stock to differentiate him from a barnyard cross, such as a RIR x BR, or some such. I hope this makes it all more clear for you.
roll.png

I am sorry to make you upset but I have never heard of one.

With your "purebred": I am sad to report that very few hatcheries have "purebred" stock as you may think. Some say in the chicken world that "standard bred means pure bred.".....

Believe me, I do know something about what I am talking about if I have accidentally upset you.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone, after having dropped their roosters off at a 'rooster sanctuary' ever went back to check on the birds they dropped off and were offered 'chicken and dumplins' for dinner, free of charge?

Quote:
roll.png

I am sorry to make you upset but I have never heard of one.

With your "purebred": I am sad to report that very few hatcheries have "purebred" stock as you may think. Some say in the chicken world that "standard bred means pure bred.".....

Believe me, I do know something about what I am talking about if I have accidentally upset you.

You haven't upset me at all, but I do disagree with you. Purebred doesn't mean show quality....ever. Purebred doesn't even mean standard bred, or rather, bred to meet the standard and successfully attaining that standard. There are plenty of birds bred by successful show breeders who are not show quality, or who display faults that oppose the standard, but who are in fact purebred. Not every chick from even the best breeding will grow to be a show quality bird, or even meet the breed standard. This is true when breeding chickens, horses, dogs, cats, etc.

That said, I have obtained purebred chickens from hatcheries. As I made clear in my post, not all hatcheries have purebred stock, and of those that do, perhaps they do not have purebred stock of all breeds. But absolutely some hatcheries have purebred birds. I've had some very decent purebred chickens from certain hatcheries. (And, conversely, there are some hatcheries I won't purchase birds from at all.)

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, of course, the sanctuary allows visitors to come see their roos, etc.
roll.png

Quote:
Yes, of course, the sanctuary allows visitors to come see their roos, etc.
roll.png

Ok, I was just checkin....I have known a few ornery old men that I wouldnt put it past them to pull a stunt like that...

as for purebred hatchery stock, I am sure there are some out there, but unless you see the breeder pens, and all the parent stock, you cant really know whether they are purebred or not. Hatcheries are concerned with quantity, not quality, and you cant know how many birds they breed from that 'appear' to be pure when in fact they are not....I have seen several people asking on this board about sebrights that came from hatcheries with single combs....just one example of birds coming from hatcheries that arent pure...

Back
Top Bottom