1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster scared of hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crchicks, Apr 19, 2017.

1. crchicks

crchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    Abilene, Tx
    So I have a 4 month old rooster who has just started crowing and mounting. The problem is that he has been in the small coop with my one legged hen and I don't want him to hurt her or over breed her since she's the only mature hen in the coop with him (I have some younger pullets in the coop but they're only about 7 weeks old). I have tried moving him into the big coop with the other hens but every time I try to he freaks out and tries to escape while the hens peck him. They don't have any issues when they are out foraging, it's just when he's separated from the one legged hen. Is there a better method to integrate him into the bigger coop? I'm scared he's going to hurt himself trying to escape and I can't put the one legged hen in the big coop.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    First of all, he's a cockerel - still a too young to act like a rooster. How much room is there in the big coop you're trying to put him in (feet by feet)? How many older hens do you have in there? Part of the reason it works better when they're free ranging is because there is room for him to get away. The older hens peck at him, he can get away, they realize he's submitting to them and they leave him be. If he can't hide or get far enough away from them (like in a coop or run situation), they think he's still challenging them and their space. So, lots of room, extra feeders and waterers, and hiding places may help. "Out of sight out of mind" seems to work for chickens.

1 person likes this.
  3. crchicks

Feb 27, 2017
    Abilene, Tx
    He's bigger than all of the hens so it's a little difficult to create him a hiding space that they can't get to as well. And I believe he might actually be closer to 6 months than 4, the feed store told me he was a couple weeks old when I bought him but they weren't sure exactly how old. I only have 4 in the bigger one now but they're just shy of a year old and the coop is 4'x6' with an attached 4'x12' run.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It doesn't need to be someplace they can't get to - just to get him out of their line of sight. Lean a pallet or piece of plywood against the run wall, leaving both ends open so they can't pin him in. Put a pallet up on blocks so he can get up out of their space. Things like that. It's not about size at this point, but maturity, attitude and pecking order. He's a punk kid being thrown in with a bunch of crabby middle aged women. At this point, he has no idea that he's bigger than them and will someday be the flock leader. If they're not drawing blood, I'd leave him in with them. The more they can free range together, the better, too. That gives them time and space to get used to each other. A younger cockerel like yours is better off being with a bunch of cranky older hens. They'll teach him some manners. Once he hits sexual maturity, he will try breeding your one legged hen, and could possibly be relentless. Once those hormones hit, some of them want to breed everything in sight.

5. crchicks

Feb 27, 2017
    Abilene, Tx
    He just started trying to breed her this week actually [​IMG] which is why I'm trying to move him into the bigger coop. They relentlessly pecked him last time and did draw blood so I moved him back. He just freaks out when he's away from my one legged hen and basically runs himself into a corner every time. He just runs back and forth along the sides of the run wearing himself out. He actually wedged himself between the wiring and a piece of wood in there and I had to pull him out of it so I removed the wood.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Just let him free range with the flock if that is working for him...:)....As he matures and they get used to him, he will put the Hens in their place...;)...He won't tolerate being bullied once he fully matures...:)..

Best of luck...:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by