Rooster is unwell. In obvious pain, labored breathing, blood in his mouth. No other signs of injury or sickness?

Annacriedpower

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2020
A few hours ago I came home to find my silkie rooster who is almost a year a old standing by himself in the yard, acting like he's in pain. He's hyperventiliating and barely strong enough to walk, but I can't figure out what's wrong. His crop is full and his eyes are open. There's no sign of injury. I brought him inside and he just plops right down wherever I set him. He pecked at the cat when she came to sniff him but he missed and it made him stumble. His poop is pretty watery.

It was cold last week but it's been warm the past two days. I don't think he has any frostbite. One of his waddles looks slightly discolored at the edge but it's hard to tell because of his purple silkie skin. It's definitely not swollen or tender?

After a few hours of being inside sitting in a box next to my desk he has started making a little gurgling noise with each exhale I can't tell if he's doing it on purpose, but it sounds like he has way more phlegm than normal. He is a little more responsive now though.

Is he going to be okay? Does he just have a cold? What can I give him?

Update: He's been inside all evening with no change. I just gave him some water with a dropper and found that there's blood in his mouth.

Last edited:
Your location, should you choose to share it with us, can give us clues.

If this was sudden, if he was fine earlier, and this came on without warning, it may be he ate something toxic. Rotting vegetation contains mold and insects contaminated with botulism bacteria. If a family member spilled paint thinner or hydraulic fluid, he could have picked up contaminated gravel.

It could be a respiratory illness, a "cold", but a chicken "cold" isn't as tame as a human cold. It may require an antibiotic.

Your location, should you choose to share it with us, can give us clues.

If this was sudden, if he was fine earlier, and this came on without warning, it may be he ate something toxic. Rotting vegetation contains mold and insects contaminated with botulism bacteria. If a family member spilled paint thinner or hydraulic fluid, he could have picked up contaminated gravel.

It could be a respiratory illness, a "cold", but a chicken "cold" isn't as tame as a human cold. It may require an antibiotic.
I'm in Ohio. I think he was feeling bad yesterday but we ignored it and he's worse today.

Do you have an antibiotic on hand? If not, do you have a pet store you could call to ask if they carry fish mox?

The product you need is amoxicillin 250mg. It's sold as a fish antibiotic and we use it for chickens. Get that and start him on one capsule now and another before bed. Then 250mg a day after that for ten days.

Can you separate him in a dog crate on puppy pads or a clean towel. Look for any blood tinged mucus or arching his neck coughing or gasping. He may have been injured, swallowed something, but one respiratory disease virus can cause bloody mucus to be coughed up. Try to get him to eat and especially drink water. Observe him to see what exactly is causing the blood. ILT is the name of the virus, it is not responsive to antibiotics, and here is some reading about it:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext...programs/poultry/ILT Know the Symptoms....pdf

If he’s coughing up blood or bloody mucus or mucus, I would suggest yelling him so he doesn’t suffer and send him to get a necropsy done on him. Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT) isn’t a disease to mess with, unlike Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or Infectious Coryza, ILT is deadly and birds suffer for life with this viral disease, especially since there’s no cure, no treatments, all birds are carriers for life and the disease is chronic.

Back
Top Bottom