Rooster services....

Scotho

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
Lynnwood, Washington
We are new to raising chickens and just getting started. We (my 2 kids and myself) are setting up a coop and pen and our goal is to buy 6 to 8 hens, and provide eggs (to eat) for oursleves and friends. At some time in the future, we will want to increase our flock and have chicks. Is it normal or acceptable to hire a rooster for a week or so to perform what needs to be done?

I don't want to buy a male because of our location in the suburbs, and the noise level that may bother the neighbors.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hate to sound pessimistic, but what you want to do probably isn't going to work.

First you should always keep any new birds seperate from your flock for at least a month because you don't want to bring any disease home to your birds.

Then after you let him in with the hens they probably won't accept him for quite some time and let him breed them....hens are pretty picky about that.

Have you considered purchasing a small incubator and purchasing eggs to incubate when you need to add new stock? May be much easier than trying to borrow a rooster.

I appreciate the input and an incubator sounds like the best way to go. As I mentioned in my post, we're just getting started and have a lot to learn. This forum/website is awsome.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom