Rooster setting on chicks

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
So yesterday, I did cull and extra rooster and old hen. I knew that things would be a little jittery till they get used to the change. I did not let them out and about until 4:00.

When I went down to lock them up, the broody hen and rooster were side by side, kind of crouching, with the 6 wk old chicks kind of under them or leaning on them. I have heard of a rooster taking over for a broody, but I have never had a rooster pay any attention good or bad toward the chicks before. Kind of neat.

Mrs K

Actually there is story here about a 'broody rooster' written by a guy who has interesting flock management techniques, he's a scientist so his observations are very detailed.

I had read that article, but never seen ANYTHING close to it in the behavior of my own chickens.

I have roost poles, but a couple of years ago, I had a broody hen get her 3 week old chicks on top of the nests on a board. She felt safer roosting, and the chicks could still get under her. I changed the set up of my coop, but when I have a broody, I keep a 8 inch board at roost level to encourage this behavior. My broody hen is still very interested in her chicks at 6 wks of age.

In the last couple of weeks, the main rooster and layers were up above on a higher roost, and the cull rooster shared the board with the broody, but far away. Last night was kind of neat. It is plenty warm out, the chicks do not need the heat, but they must want the safety. It was funny, to see him kind of crouching over the top of the chicks.

So far, when I let them out to free range, the roo and the hens and the cull roo, went one way, and the Broody hen and chicks went another. Not a long ways apart, but not together. I wonder how that will work today.

Mrs K

So do I, and even though I don't handle them much, and they are not pets or sit on my knee, I just love having a flock, and getting a balanced flock is a good feeling.

Back
Top Bottom