Rooster severally attacked

Silkiechicken66

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2016
I have a little rooster who is kept in a run with his hens. Somehow one of the big birds reached through the bars and tore his face to shreds. His wattles and chin is swollen(getting worse), wounds covering comb and face, and I just noticed the inside of his mouth is infected and puss leaking from a puncture wound by his nose. There was a small cut inside his mouth this morning but I didn’t notice it get this bad this quickly.

I’m giving him vitamin/probiotic water, cleaned the wounds and applied Neosporin to them. He’s been separated so the others don’t peck.

What’s the best course of action? He’s still eating and drinking fine for now. Best medicine/treatment?

I have a little rooster who is kept in a run with his hens. Somehow one of the big birds reached through the bars and tore his face to shreds. His wattles and chin is swollen(getting worse), wounds covering comb and face, and I just noticed the inside of his mouth is infected and puss leaking from a puncture wound by his nose. There was a small cut inside his mouth this morning but I didn’t notice it get this bad this quickly.

I’m giving him vitamin/probiotic water, cleaned the wounds and applied Neosporin to them. He’s been separated so the others don’t peck.

What’s the best course of action? He’s still eating and drinking fine for now. Best medicine/treatment?
This sounds like the work of a predator, not another chicken.
Please post some pictures.
In general his wounds should be thoroughly and carefully cleaned and disinfected. Keeping him hydrated is important. Will he drink on his own? If so, offering water with some poultry nutri drench in it will help give him a boost.
He should be kept in a crate with a clean towel and away from flies as they can lay eggs in the damaged tissue which will lead to maggots and Flystrike.

He's going to loose those points, and that will heal up, as though it was frostbite. Don't have him out there until the run fencing is fixed, so it doesn't happen again! Have a solid wall between the cocks, at least for a couple of feet tall. Then hardware cloth to prevent any reaching through the fence.
Mary

ECF4F94C-93DB-46AF-81A1-2DDB1BBCBA88.jpeg
527392E3-94CA-40B2-B30E-9B2617D43DCE.jpeg
648166A9-AB88-4044-B9D7-8871E039E5E0.jpeg

Not the best photos. I got as much dried blood as I could off but he was in a lot of pain. So I didn’t press too hard. There is medicine on.

This sounds like the work of a predator, not another chicken.
Please post some pictures.
In general his wounds should be thoroughly and carefully cleaned and disinfected. Keeping him hydrated is important. Will he drink on his own? If so, offering water with some poultry nutri drench in it will help give him a boost.
He should be kept in a crate with a clean towel and away from flies as they can lay eggs in the damaged tissue which will lead to maggots and Flystrike.
I looked out the window right as the other chicken had his face through the fence. Luckily we don’t have predators other than hawks, as to why he’s in a run.
He drinks on his own, I have vitamin water but getting nutridrench tomorrow as a friend suggested as well. He’s in a dog crate in the house to be monitored. Thanks!

48D72BA6-4E9A-4F84-94E1-4E1329794169.jpeg
EC8B4994-7A6F-4D8D-B5A9-0D8235764CF0.jpeg

His wounds are healing and he’s not swollen anymore. Still really scabby though. His mouth hasn’t improved much but hasn’t declined at all. His comb has turned purple though and feels cold to the touch?

He's going to loose those points, and that will heal up, as though it was frostbite. Don't have him out there until the run fencing is fixed, so it doesn't happen again! Have a solid wall between the cocks, at least for a couple of feet tall. Then hardware cloth to prevent any reaching through the fence.
Mary
He’s being kept inside till we get a barrier about two feet high on the run. It has netting covering covering the wire fencing(big fencing for cattle and such was used, netting covering that) but the hen that got him could reach through. Fixing that!

He has always found a way to get in fights with the birds outside the run, they’ve never been able to reach him though it was just fluffing up and kicking the fence. This hen is another story :thlearned my lesson

Back
Top Bottom