Rooster severely injured after predator attack

Freysnes

Songster
Jan 18, 2020
Iceland
Hey there !

I need a bit of your help. Tonight as I went to put my chickens in for the night I came across my rooster severely injured and a couple of my gals a little hurt (they are fine.)

After inspecting I see that my rooster has been almost plucked clean by something. He’s missing his wing weathers, tail feathers and all over his back but nothing from chest up.
he’s obviously exhausted and in pain but there is no blood nor open wound so I don’t want to put him down if I can get by it. I am prepared to do the work since he is a favourite.
a vet is not an option since there is no vet who will take chickens here.
Does anyone have a similar story they can share or have any idea what is the best thing to do for him?
thank you in advance !

Hey there !

I need a bit of your help. Tonight as I went to put my chickens in for the night I came across my rooster severely injured and a couple of my gals a little hurt (they are fine.)

After inspecting I see that my rooster has been almost plucked clean by something. He’s missing his wing weathers, tail feathers and all over his back but nothing from chest up.
he’s obviously exhausted and in pain but there is no blood nor open wound so I don’t want to put him down if I can get by it. I am prepared to do the work since he is a favourite.
Does anyone have a similar story they can share or have any idea what is the best thing to do for him?
thank you in advance !
Do you have any other roosters? It could be extreme bullying. The hens could be doing it too, of course. It could also be a predator, but I've never heard of a predator simply plucking them.
You don't have to put him down; while plucking is extremely stressful, it isn't life-threatening, unless he gets hypothermia overnight.
Could you get pictures?

Hey there !

thank you in advance !
Bring him jn, keep him warm and give him electrolytes to help with the shock. Offer him water, then food. It may be a few hours before he'll take anything on his own, so if he won't willingly take liquids, put a few drops of electrolytes (Sav-a-Chik, Gatorade, Pedialyte, even sugar water) along the side of his beak using an eyedropper or tiny spoon. He should swallow them on his own, that way, which avoids getting fluid in his lungs ... which he definitely does not need, right now!
keep a close eye on him so you can tell if there are internal injuries. If it's just feather loss, he can likely recover ... but he'll look pretty silly for a while, the poor brave little guy!

2D9204AF-71A0-4B73-BA3F-79D45F3F0CA7.jpeg

Here is a picture of the guy. No other roosters, just him and his girls. No way it’s another chicken. They were all terrified :/.
How warm are we talking ? We have him under a heat lamp atm and he seems to relax a bit. Won’t take any food or water and if I put some up to his beak he doesn’t react yet. Attack happened approximately 2-3 hours ago I would think..
thank you all for your fast reply’s ! Absolutely love this forum

He may of had some blood loss you didn't see. Feather shafts have blood in them so having so much ripped out likely weakened him a lot. Have you tried giving him electrolytes yet? He's probably really exhausted.

Back
Top Bottom