Rooster shakes head back and forth

RedHillChicken

Songster
Dec 3, 2022
Our Rooster Bok Bok, since he was 3-4 months old, has shaken his head back and forth. I'm not sure if this is a male dominance chicken thing, or that he may have some throat issue or parasite. He's not a touchable chicken, so I can't look down his throat. His poo looks normal, but sometimes it's a little runny. Has anyone noticed the head shaking? Thanks!

Like slowly like he's trying to see or shaking like a dog or shaking plus fluffing?
It seems like when he's shaking his head he then will fluff up and spread his wings. This is why I thought it was a male dominance thing. But there are times when he shakes with no fluffing.

It seems like when he's shaking his head he then will fluff up and spend his wings. This is why I thought it was a male dominance thing. But there are times when he shakes with no fluffing.
It's could be a male thing but I think its more just resetting his hackle feathers, they get long and knocked out of place.

It's could be a male thing but I think its more just resetting his hackle feathers, they get long and knocked out of place.
You may be right about the hackle feathers. I was concerned that maybe he had a parasite or worm in his throat and was trying to rid himself of it. He's very healthy, and manly, so he doesn't let me touch him. He did let my wife touch his waddles one day, but he's not the cuddly type.

IMG_3367.jpg
1675362796852.png

You may be right about the hackle feathers. I was concerned that maybe he had a parasite or worm in his throat and was trying to rid himself of it. He's very healthy, and manly, so he doesn't let me touch him. He did let my wife touch his waddles one day, but he's not the cuddly type.

View attachment 3393609View attachment 3393609
He's very handsome.
Worm in the throat is very, very rare. It's almost always an external irritation. :]

He's very handsome.
Worm in the throat is very, very rare. It's almost always an external irritation. :]
One more possibility - crop issue. He gets plenty of grit, water. There's no way he'd let me check his crop though. He's not mean, just private.

Maybe, but if he's done this since the advent of hackle feathers, it's likely not a crop issue.
You can check him on the roost at night.
Ha Ha, you don't know this, but Bok Bok sleeps with one eye open. :< ) Seriously, I'm going to rely on your assumptions that it's his hackle feathers getting ruffled. Thanks so much for your input!

Back
Top Bottom