Rooster shakes head frequently

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kuntrychick, Oct 23, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    My RIR rooster (not sure how old he is but I've had him a little over 2 years) does this head shaking thing. Is it something to be concerned about?

He doesn't seem lethargic or anything...acts normal...eating, drinking, mating, etc. Although, a couple of times I have seen him standing with his eyes closed for a brief moment, but then right back to business.

He is such a nice roo & wonderful gentleman to the hens, I don't want anything to happen to him.

Thanks in advance!

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Do a search on Gape worm. Basically I would treat with Ivermectin.

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:X2

4. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:I will look that up. I can buy Ivermectin at TSC, right? How to treat with it ...does it go in water or on him somewhere or what? & how much of a dose? Do I treat the rest of my chickens too? Thx

5. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Hmm...I don't see him gasping for air or anything. I also don't see him throw his head forward & backward. He looks as if he's shaking his head "no". I have noticed that a few of the points on his comb looks a little purpleish.

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Any discharge from his nose? [​IMG]

7. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Sorry...duplicate post

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  8. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:Haven't noticed any, but will check more thoroughly tomorrow.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It is NOT gapeworm, and I doubt it's a respiratory issue. He could be losing feathers in or around his head/neck area due to molt and could be unseen to you...that subtle. Inspect him for lice/mites as well. It's possble he could have ear mites. A couple of drops of vegetable oil from an eyedropper into his ears will smother the mites, repeat a couple more times a week apart if necessary.

10. Hannah Jesenko

Hannah Jesenko Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    This is going to sound like a dumb question, but where are the ears on a chicken, I know where the earlobes are, but where is the acctual ear?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by