1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Shaking Head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by goosemama, Feb 2, 2010.

1. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    I have 4 Welsummer Roosters among my hens and I have noticed one shaking his head (like you were getting water out of your ear). I've seen him do this everytime I visit the henhouse - so am not sure how often he does it. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? The rest of the roosters and 20 hens seem very healthy.

2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Our roo shakes his head sometimes; I'm not really sure why. He has always done it, but doesn't seem to have any sinus problems or anything. Sometimes he does it when he hears a high pitched sound.

3. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    We had a similar problem with a young rooster years ago, his comb would turn bluish even in rather warm weather. He had been treated with ivermectin internally , for mites as precaution in case he had mites near ears. Vet felt the slight lack of circulation may be irritating to him , he had slight heart problem ,and social trauma from competing with 2 other roosters , once he was seperated into his own pad with his own girls he stopped it. but it may have been the ivermectine. to this day we really dont know . He did have a slight heart problem so didnt live a very long time , If I remember right it was around 7 yrs.but had a happy life. could be caused by many things . sometimes its social irritation, usually there is some form of external irritation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by