Rooster Shaking then sits

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by loyd63, Mar 4, 2015.

1. loyd63

loyd63 New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    Hi All, im new to the forum, have had chickens for 6 months now so im pretty new to this, i've dealt with sick chickens in this time and given shots of Tylan50 and Wazine and DE with success and failure also treated for Egg bound hens with success, Now I have a problem with my Buckeye Rooster which is about a year old, he was bought from a healthy flock and was going to be a show bird until the hens pecked at his tail feathers so i was able to buy him at this time. Hes a beautiful big bird but his problem is as follows; He don't seem to be real fast or active, acts like it hurts him to stand up, acts like an old man with Arthritis, he will start shivering in the legs and then sit down. he even sits down to eat even when he don't shake. I'm fixing to treat for lice with DE but have not seen any lice or mites although some of my hens are loosing feathers on their back by their tails, going completely bald, so im treating them anyway. the weather here has been cold snowy rainy and muddy for a good month so they haven't been free ranging much. Two days ago the Rooster was posturing in a sick manner as i've seen before so i gave him a shot of Tylan50 and a shot of B12, he don't seem to be doing any better, still shakes and sits, I did notice at the sellers house when he got back from his show, (which won a lot of awards) one of this Roosters brothers or maybe his father also had this shaking problem but he wouldn't sit down. My chickens stay out in the rain as their choice so they are wet all the time, Dang this weather.!!! calling for more snow today and tomorrow. Anybody have ideas what this Shaking thing is????

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It sounds like he has something serious going on which could be due to a disease or vitamin deficiency. Has he been vaccinated for anything in the past, such as fowl pox/avian encephalomyelitis, or for Mareks disease? In very young chicks, avian encephalomyelitis can cause tremors and shaking, and in older chickens, the disease can possibly be caused with the vaccination. Mareks disease can cause various neurological symptoms. I would suggest starting some poultry vitamins, and if he dies or needs to be put down, I would get his refrigerated body necropsied by your state vet. Chickens can sometimes sense that a chicken is sick, and they will sometimes pick on them. I hope you can figure out what is wrong.

3. loyd63

loyd63 New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    He was on vitamins when i picked him up because they was gonna show him, im sure hes been vaccinated for what ever the poultry shows require, he should have been in top condition, he was a very healthy looking bird when i got him a couple weeks ago except for the tail fethers we picked by his hens, the people i got him from really take care of their birds they are serious about it to be top contenders . they are champions, he's also been trying to figure out the shaking in the other rooster, we don't know. he eats and drinks but he don't wanna walk unless made to move.. thank you for your response.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With the fowl pox-avian encephalomyelitis vaccine, occasionally older chickens can get AE from the vaccine. I would continue the vitamins, and watch him for any other signs. Definitely get a necropsy done on him, since it would be very important to know if he is carrying the Mareks disease virus, or if he could have AE. AE usually only affects chicks under a month old unless they would get it from a vaccine.

5. loyd63

loyd63 New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    Will pick some up in the morning. thanks again..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by