rooster shivering & sneezing occasionally is it nothing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peaceisgreen, Apr 6, 2017.

1. peaceisgreen

peaceisgreen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2017
    michigan
    this might be nothing but ive got a large brahma who recently started shivering and sneezes occasionally he is about three years old no other chickens seem affected ive seen him sneeze in the past(last year) but didnt think much about it until i saw him shivering he has no other symptoms

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Bring him inside or put some heat on him at least 2 feet away. He may have a respiratory infection which could be viral or bacterial. Look for any nasal drainage or bubbly eyes, or any swelling around an eye. Does he have any rattles or wheezes? Offer him some water with electrolytes and vitamins. Pedialyte, Gatorade, or water with sugar 1 tsp per quart, and make sure that he is drinking. When he has rested some, offer him some chopped egg or tuna, and some watery feed that is soupy to tempt him to eat.

3. peaceisgreen

Mar 23, 2017
    michigan
    he has no problem eating drinking or getting around no drainage or swelling of the nose eyes comb or wattle that i can tell last winter he did have a thing where when he would crow it would cut off prematurely at the end but it resolved on its own i will get a closer look at him in the morning and update

4. peaceisgreen

Mar 23, 2017
    michigan
    i watched him for many hours this morning/afternoon and no sneezing no visible shivering ill post a picture of him shortly

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully he is okay. We have experienced a lot of changes back and forth from warm to cold weather here in Ohio. Chickens with respiratory infections can chill, and may need heat, but use your best judgement. Sick chickens usually puff up and don't move around much.

6. peaceisgreen

Mar 23, 2017
    michigan
    here he is out and about[​IMG]
    he thought i was trying to herd him when i tried to get close to him to take a picture had to chase him down

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He is a good looking fellow.

8. peaceisgreen

Mar 23, 2017
    michigan
    can chickens sneeze without being sick?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They can sneeze occasionally if they are exposed to dusty feed, dusty coop conditions, or something irritating to their nostrils. If it is more than occasional, the there may be a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by