Rooster sick, drinking until food comes up, help

Pinky

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
South GA
I have a 6yo white leghorn rooster(Pinky) who has been acting strange the last 2 days. After he eats he acts like he is dehydrated and will not stop drinking water. He drinks so much that some of his food comes back up with lots of what looks like saliva. His comb and wattles also look shrunk and the back of his comb looks frost bitten which is next to impossible seeing as how it is not cold here.

His eyes are normal and he runs to the food I put out for him, but the rest of the day he just walks around slowly, a little less perky than he usually is. He has never been sick before.

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this? I would really like to save him if possible.

Hi, so sorry your roo is poorly!
I've never heard if these symptoms before, but it makeshift wonder about his crop. Is he pooping normally? Do you think he's managing to digest?

Hi stargirl, thanks for the kind words
smile.png

His poop is solid, not unusual looking but I didn't see if he did it today. I'll try to get a photo of him tomorrow. I wish I could pick him up so I could check his crop. Do you think a crop problem would make him drink a lot?
I hope not, but it does sound like he may have a digestion problem
sad.png
He was slower to react to the treats I offered him today before he went to his roost.

I'm just thinking if he's vomiting & over drinking it could be that he has something bothering him in his crop - something he's eaten that he cant digest, or an infection - search 'impacted crop' and 'sour crop' here on the forums. His crop should go down completely overnight, then slowly fill over the day. If it bulges first thing, the crop is the issue.

If possible I think it'd be really good to isolate him for a while so you can get a good look at his droppings for more clues. Drinking a lot could also be a sign of kidney trouble, in which case you might find there were no white bits on his droppings.
I'm afraid I'm just guessing at this point, but hopefully we'll figure it out!

Well I found him dead today
sad.png
He was extremely thin so I'm guessing it was a digestive problem. His crop felt full, comb and wattles really shrunk. No visible wounds of any kind.
He had a pretty long life, outlasted his unrelated RIR brother by a year. He and his brother were the best roosters I ever had, really good with both people and the hens. I never did manage to get a decent rooster offspring from him, but he had 4 daughters. At least now he's not suffering or in pain, I will miss him.

Thanks for trying to help stargirl.

Back
Top Bottom