Rooster signs and weird feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by khatar, May 15, 2011.

1. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Hello! I'm a newcomer here, not to chickens, but to BYC. I have four hens, A buff orp, a barred rock, a white leghorn and a gold star. They are about three years old now, and they are free range.

OK, the point is I got two black ameraucana chicks and now they are a month old. One always had odd shaped feathers. They splay out to the sides of the chick, rather than fold around it. I'm just wondering if it is normal or not, because where I got them, I saw one of its siblings with the same feathers. The other chick is the brother (I think) and has normal-looking feathers.

The other of the two chicks is what I think is a young cockerel. I see that his comb is already coming in whereas the weird-feathered chick barely has even a bump to show any signs of a comb.

Another sign is that the thought-to-be cockerel, that we have named "Twinkle" is much larger than "Twilight," the weird feathered pullet. It also has a large deal of feathers on the sides of its legs. Twilight barely has anything but tiny studs for feathers. Twinkle also carries himself differently, and always is very alert. He also occasionally chases Twilight, as cockerels are known to do. Twinkle's talons are extra sharp and scratch me whenever I hold him. Also, he is very brave, compared to Twilight. I want someone to tell me if they think these signs indicate a rooster.

I hope someone can answer my questions, I've been looking for answers for a long time.

Thanks!

PICTURES BELOW

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]
    I think members will be able to offer better advice if they could see pics of the chicks. There is a short period of time where new members can't add pics but if you keep participating, you will have full privileges soon. [​IMG]

3. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Its normal for chicks to feather in differently. I have some light brahma chicks who are feathering in with feathers that stick straight out to the sides! They look pretty funny, but the feathers don't stay like that. Your other bird sounds like it could be a rooster, and pictures would help a lot!

4. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    OK! I'll be sure to upload some pics. Thanks for the notification on the feathers, it is starting to get out of hand. And I hope pictures of the rooster chick help.

I love this site, so many people and so much help.

Thank You!

PICTURES BELOW

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    sounds more like it could be frizzled, description sounds like a cochin(feathered legs) x EE(no comb, pea comb). pics would definitely be helpful [​IMG]

6. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    It's not a cochin because it only has feathers on the sides of its legs. Plus, its sister barely has any leg feathers.

Thanks though!

PICTURES BELOW

7. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    PICTURES BELOW

8. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I get what you mean by frizzled, I looked it up and that's exactly what she is!

Thank you so much!

PICTURES BELOW!!!!

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    frizzled isn't a breed but more of a variety within a breed... there are a few breeds that have frizzles. would still like to see pics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by