Rooster Signs ? Pecking / Nipping ? Clipping of Wings ?

domromer

Songster
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Flagstaff,AZ
One of our "girls" is a bit bigger than the rest and makes a weird sound that none of the other 3 make - could she be a he ? It does sound very like a junior rooster crowing but my chicks are only ~ 3 weeks old. Is it too early to tell ?

Every time I put my hand in their brooder to take out feeders, clean poop away etc., all 4 chicks come running and they have started to peck / nip at my hands. We have never fed them food by hand so I'm not sure if this is just 3 week old behavior but they really can bite ! Any advice on how to stop this ?

Our chicks, at 3 weeks, are doing an awful lot of flapping around and can get to the top of their brooder box now (we have a window screen covering it to keep them in the box). At what age should one do the wing clipping ?

Thanks !

Last edited:
My chicks are about 2.5 weeks, and I have two on the suspicious list, although only one acts like a roo (and in weird ways.. lets the others eat first, and patiently waits, but is the first over for treats and the others give this particular chick space when it's eating those treats so I know it's not on the bottom of the pecking order), plus he/she has the 'rooster' stance, raising tall, neck straight out, almost on tiptoes. I haven't noticed anything other than peeps and chirps, though.

Mine do come running to see if I have anything yummy, but only peck if I do, or if they see my ring, so I'm not sure if it's an age thing or not.

As far as flying/jumping out of the box, mine do that, too, but I think it's because they are really bored with the same 4 walls, and want to get a look around. I noticed when I put them in their run, they still will flap around a bit, but no one seems interested in escaping (too much to look at and do). Not sure why you are wing clipping? So I can't answer that. Besides, my most consistant 'escape artist' only seems to be doing it when she wants to be near me.

-Meghan

The little chicks flap their wings to build the muscles up! When they get room to move even more they will flap and run, it helps them get where they are going faster, to good stuff and away from scary things. My 10 week olds are already doing this less, but for the 7 week olds it is the main mode of transportation of those cute little bodies!

Back
Top Bottom