Rooster signs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by khatar, Jun 1, 2011.

1. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I have a two 2 month old chicks that are half black ameraucana and half black frizzled cochin. One of the chicks is smooth feathered and the other is frizzled. The smooth feathered chick is showing signs of being a rooster. It is much larger than it's sister, so big I can't even fit my hand around him like I can do with his sister. He has an enormous red comb compared to his sister's which is small and yellow. His leg feathers are much larger than the other's and his beard has already come in. Hi sister's beard is only halfway in. The only doubts I have are that his hackles aren't pointed and his saddle feathers aren't hanging, Does this change over time?

2. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    The hackle feathers may show more over time. One of my Roos didn't show them until almost 4 months. It does sound like you have a Roo, but pics would definitely help. [​IMG]

3. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    All right, I'll be sure to upload pictures [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry about that, just wanted to see what would happen.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  4. ChiknMama

ChiknMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    [​IMG] guess this is what happens when you have too many smilies to choose just one [​IMG]

5. clarkechick

clarkechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I have 3 chicks, all different varieties. My Ameraucana is growing much larger than the Buff Orp and Barred Rock.
    She also has a good fluffy beard. Should I be worried that She is a HE? I had sort of assumed that it was just her breed that was the difference.
    Ugh... I can't have a HE. I live in a neighborhood!

6. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    OK......how in the world do you guys and gals do all those great smiley icons? I feel like I am left in the dark......LOL

7. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Look for the icon more smilies on the message page.

I'll upload pictures soon.

When do roos get spurs?

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    The first noticeable thing is usually the comb, showing pinker & growing larger. That can start to show at 2-4 weeks. Then the little wattles beginning to emerge, looking like a teenaged boy's beard beginning to grow. Young roos often will have thicker hocks. The pointy saddle & hackle feathers can usually be seen at around 8-10 weeks. You can part the feathers in those places & look for them beginning to sprout. The spurs don't start to grow until after 6 months or more, you should know already if it's a roo.

The Americanas & EEs sometimes will keep you guessing longer, not able to tell for certain until 3-4 months. And I have a mixed-breed roo, part Americana, who is over a year old and still doesn't have pointy hackle or saddle feathers, probably never will.

9. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    Funny, it's my understanding that BOs are a much larger breed than Americaunas. If they're the same age, I'd like to see it. Interesting.

10. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Since my thought to be roo is half ameraucana, he has a full beard already so no waddles visible, but you can definitely see his comb. And thanks for the tip about the hackles and saddles! Now I know it's definitely a roo. But since he's half cochin would he be bigger than my buff orpington. She hates my two chicks and is always looking for a chance to get them, kind of scary. I want to know if my roo will be big enough to take her over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by