1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster singing the egg song?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elmo, Dec 1, 2009.

1. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I've been keeping three chickens in the garage over night for more than a week now, one in a dog crate and two in a bird cage. They're all recovering from fowl pox. Two more birds, also with pox, have been staying outside in the winter coop. Last night, the temperature was predicted to dip down into the 30's, so I started to be a little concerned about the two birds out there in the winter coop (two birds don't generate that much heat for themselves, they're recovering from pox, and they're Serama hybrids, too). Since the garage is running ten degrees warmer than the coop, I decided to let everybody sleep in the garage last night.

So I get all the chickens tucked into their sleeping quarters in the garage but for Martha, the lead hen and the wildest of our chickens. I have to chase her into a corner of the pen and it takes me fifteen minutes of concerted effort to finally grab the little ....darling. When I bring her to the garage and try to put her in the crate where her BFF Pokey is already settling into the pine shavings, Martha freaks, struggles and escapes my grasp. She's flying all over the garage, squawking, and I'm thinking "great, I 'm never going to corner her in this garage..." when all of a sudden, from out of his own crate, I hear Beaky the rooster singing the egg song.

Martha stops, suddenly becomes tranquil. I walk over to her, pick her up easily and put her in her crate. Go figure!

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    My "good" roo--the one that is nice to the hens not a little punk, sings a version of the egg song (sounds like it anyhow) to call the hens over when he finds a good patch of bugs, a good place to for them to make a nest, and when it's time for everyone to go to bed for the night. Sounds like you have a good roo too. [​IMG]

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    He probably got scared and she froze to be less visible. The egg song sounds a lot like the fear song. That's funny!

4. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    It still sounds funnier if he was telling her to chill out....

5. magentamomma

magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    Mine talks to his girls when they are freaking out too. I love him, his name is Sawyer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by