Rooster singing the egg song?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by afj6710, Oct 7, 2011.

1. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    We've been waiting for weeks for our first egg, based on how my pullets were looking. Every afternoon, I would hear what I thought was the egg song. I'ld go look around and find . . nothing. I was sure that they were just hiding their eggs from me until one day I snuck up on them while I heard the egg song. To my surprise, it was our Rooster. [​IMG] Maybe I'm confused about what the egg song sounds like? I thought it was "bakbakbakbaGAWK!bakbakbakbakbaGAWK!" over and over. Am I wrong or is my Rooster just confused?

(by the way, we found our first egg today)

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    He is giving them encouragement!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I can't explain why they act the way they do. I kinda think the egg song is more of "I don't know where you are! Can somebody get me back with the flock! Now!!!" than it is an announcement about the egg itself. Your rooster may indeed be confused, or maybe just lost in the middle of his flock.

As a side note, when mine come off the nest and sing the egg song, the rooster comes running, mates with the hen, then takes her back to the rest of the flock.

4. pikeechickee

pikeechickee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2011
    I think our rooster is doing the egg song. I have noticed that there is usually a hen separated out from the flock when he does this and that separated out hen generally responds. But I am very new to this so really have no idea what I am doing or my chickens are doing.

5. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Both of my dominant roosters do it. I too was running to see who it was and caught the roosters having a contest! I also refer to the egg song as the "oh $%!# song" you know those girls aren't celebrating. They are in pain and fussing about it!

6. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    I kinda think the egg song is more of "I don't know where you are! Can somebody get me back with the flock! Now!!!"

x2!

And...I've had watched my rooster get in and out of nesting boxes before the girls started laying as if he was showing them what they were for! Clever roo! [​IMG]

7. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    My roosters always join in on the egg song, and they are loud enough to get every girl singing it!

8. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    My roosters start crowing back and forth when she gets in the nest and then when she is done she sings to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by