Rooster sitting more than usual

prairyd

In the Brooder
May 28, 2020
Good afternoon everyone!

I am just about to complete our first year of having chickens. Yesterday morning we were cleaning out their coop and I saw a little blood splattered on some of the shavings. I checked the chickens and rooster the best that I could. The rooster refuses to be handled so it was quite difficult to really see if he was injured but his feathers were all shiny and I couldn't find any bare spots on him. The chickens are all behaving normally, though two started acting broody yesterday. They are eating, drinking, and roaming about normally. The rooster is eating, drinking, mating, and crowing. His eyes are bright and attentive. From what I can tell he is also acting normally except that he is sitting more than usual. He is not quite a year and all his feathers have come in. I suppose I am painting a picture to see if any of these pieces of information are related and what else I should do/ look for. Thanks a bunch!

The rooster is eating, drinking, mating, and crowing. His eyes are bright and attentive. From what I can tell he is also acting normally except that he is sitting more than usual.
He may just be relaxing.

Blood in the coop can be alarming, but one bite to a comb can generate quite a bit of blood, and it can be flung all over with a flick of the head. Comb injuries heal up quickly so you may never really see the wound.

I'd not worry unless you see more blood and he stops eating, drinking, mating, and crowing.

Back
Top Bottom