Rooster situation - need expert BYC advise

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jaimslee4u, Aug 22, 2010.

1. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    It is a long story and I am not sure where to post it but my first problem is to find out if my black Orph is a rooster or pullet. After that I will post the rest of the problem on a different thread since it wouldn't go in this index. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I posted this before and everyone said hen so I thought it was a hen. I still think possibly hen but I now have a rooster that came back home and they are fighting like roosters so I am so confused.

She / He is about 16 weeks.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Crowing Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    For 16 weeks I'm going with pullet. Maybe the reason the two are fighting is because the other one is new and this one feels the need to assert dominance. Also my Dixie Rainbow girls would fight all the time, no matter if it was with a boy or another girl. [​IMG] Anyway, hope this helps. [​IMG] (And I'm no expert, by any means. [​IMG])

3. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Females also fight, it isn't just a rooster thing. Especially if one hen is 'newer' to the flock than the others. Give them time to establish pecking order.

4. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Songster

Does he/she crow? I don't know about this breed specifically, but in a broader sense from what I've learned about my own chickens, comb and all, that looks like a pullet to me. Also, what do you mean fight like roosters? You don't have to be graphic, but is there a "hen" type of fight vs. rooster? I ended up with 9 for 9 hens (what are the odds of that!) so I have no rooster experience at all.

5. dolly85

dolly85 Songster

Jun 1, 2010
    That is a pretty little female. My orpington males have combs twice to three times that size! My BO females have the same size comb and wattles. She is very pretty.

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Songster

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Ok, I am going against everyone else and have to say that it is a slowly maturing Roo. The tail feathers are really starting to curl downward, the feathers on the center of the wing are thicking like a roo and it seems to have some very pointed hackle feathers.

I have a speckled sussex, a white rock, and a black australorp roo that just turned 18 weeks and they haven't even attempted to crow. Same with my cochin bantam roos so I believe you will find out in the next month or so what the real deal is.

By the way...hens do fight but it only lasts a few seconds and it's not near as intense as when roos go at it. If the hackles are raised and the head lowered...you have a roo for sure.

Please let us know if you get an egg or a crow!

7. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Songster

I've never been able to do this!

[​IMG]

Until now, I should say. Please don't switch threads, or at least let us know where the rest of the story is!

8. lishah2000

lishah2000 Songster

Looks like pullet from what I can see.

I have hens that will challenge the young roos and usually win without much of a fight. They will lower their head like the boys, but are quick to jump feet first.

I once had two hens fight over a chick (I guess) and it was nasty. Much worse than the boys and I couldn't stop them. Their roo couldn't stop them. I finally had to let one of my other roos into the coop. It stopped the second he walked into the coop.

They haven't fought since thankfully and the chick was returned to it's mom and everything was fine.

9. cubakid

cubakid Songster

Aug 22, 2010
    Looks like a roo to me too.

10. BekahBear

BekahBear Songster

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    i dont know...something about it just says roo to me.
    see if you can get some more pics of it. a side pic that is a little closer up would be nice so we could see the feathers better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by