Rooster sizing me up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sgsf, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    I'm not sure, but sometimes he likes to get close and just likes to flap his wings right in front of me. Sometime she stomps, but RARELY. Only a few times.
  2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    If he does it again walk straight toward him making him give way to you everytime. If possible lay your hand on his back and make him kneal down. You must be seen without question as the ruler of him not vice-versa.
    I am not talking about being mean, just in control. You can talk sweet to him too when he is knealing down. He will avoid you like the plague or either still be a problem for you. You should never have to worry about turning your back on him. Gloria Jean
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

EXACTLY. I do this with my rooster. Every now and then he sorta jumps just a little bit and half-flaps his wings, and I run through the routine: walk towards him deliberately, put my hand on his back... most times he backs away. So I continue forward, sweet talking him, until he turns away from me.

Then I stop. Once he's turned away, he's acquiesed to my being In Charge. It will be weeks before he tries anything again. But at first, when he first started that, he did it every day for about 3 days.

I've also discovered I shouldn't wear red Crocs in the yard around him - those set him off bigtime. He HATES those Crocs!
  4. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    When I turn to him and walk towards him, he runs away really quick - And to catch him, you have to chase 'em. :p
  5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, don't chase him, that makes it worse. The fact that he's given up and run away means he still considers you Boss, even though he'd probably like to try to take you on. [​IMG]
  6. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    I flap my wings back at him and walk toward him. Sometimes I'll "peck" him on the back of the neck with two fingers. I had my marans cockerel sneak up behind me and kick me a month or so ago. I wheeled around and booted him about 4 feet into the bushes. He hasn't tried that again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by