ROOSTER SLEEPING A LOT AND NOT OPENING HIS EYES?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tinakhal, Jul 26, 2013.

1. tinakhal

tinakhal New Egg

Jun 19, 2013
    My rooster has been sleeping a lot lately, in excess. He hasn't eaten much, and he seems to have diarrhea. My sister brought him inside and he actually let us carry him - he never ever lets us do that. She is sitting with him on his lap, and I believe he doesn't have the strength to get up anymore. We think he is dying right now, and we've tried giving him water by opening his beak. He has allowed a little bit of water through, but he won't eat any food, and I highly doubt he can get up. Please, I don't want to lose him. Can anyone help me ASAP, or tell me what I could do to make it better for him??

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Is his breathing normal? If his symptoms are sleepiness and lethergie he could have coccidosis.bloody poo does NOT have to be present to have cocci. you would treat with corid or amprolium or amprol its all the same. It kills all 9 strains of cocci. Sounds like that's what he might have. If he's not drinking on his own you can admintster the medication in the water and give to him by a syringe in the mouth carefully as you don't want him to choke or get it in the lungs. You can use a feeding syringe. they should have the amprolium and feeding syringe at the feed store. If his breathing is normal and no noises when he breathes no coughing or mucus just sleepy and lethargic its likely coccidosis and should be treated with amprollium which brand names are corid or amprol. Treat as soon as possible. hope this helps.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    As Realsis said, Coccidiosis could be the problem. I once had a seven month old chicken that was very sleepy/lethargic/unresponsive. I treated her with Corid for five days and wormed her, and she is better than ever. Worms are another possibility, so you could try deworming him. Valbazen or Safeguard are good womers to use.

In the meantime, try to get some food into him. Mix some crumbles with water until it is a soupy mixture, and then try to get it into his beak. Just holding a spoon filled with this mixture under his beak might get him to swallow some. If this idea doesn't work, you may have to look into tubefeeding.

To encourage him to eat, try some scrambled egg, applesauce, and yogurt too, and get some electrolytes and probiotics. Honey or sugar mixed with water would also give him energy.

If he starts showing signs of a respiratory problem, get Tylan50 or Oxytetracycline. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by