Rooster sleeping in nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kaitie09, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    We rearranged our coop about 1 1/2 months ago. The roosts got moved directly above the nesting boxes so we could add a poop board. At first every freaked out and for a week I had to go in there and put them all on the roosts. Everyone seems to have gotten it by now except for the rooster. I go out at night and all the girls are on the roosts, while the rooster is just snoozing away in the middle nesting box. There is a ramp going up to the roosts, and I have seen him jump up there before, he just doesn't sleep there. Is there anyway to encourage him to sleep up there, or should I just leave him be. I also have a duck and another hen that likes to sleep in the other nesting boxes.

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    You must have a small coop. I wouldn't want my roost over my nest boxes. I have all my roost on a different wall & higher than the nest boxes. Seems like he just climbes up & plops down in the boxs. Its to convenient. If you weren't having this problem before I'd move it back.

3. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    The coop is wide 10ft wide, and 12ft long. Where the roosts were previously, they were above the pop door and they had to be higher than the nesting boxes, so the roosts were at the 4ft height and 6ft height. When they jumped down from that, they would slam their bodies against the farthest wall. We moved it because we did not want them to get hurt. All the other chickens get up there fine, some sleep on the roost and the other sleep on the end of the poop board right below the roosts. They crowd together so much, there is at least 3ft that does not get used on the actual roost. The one hen that sleeps in the nesting box has done that since she was a baby, even when the roosts were in the other location. He has more than enough room to get up there if he wanted, and I was putting him up there for almost 2 weeks straight, he just always sleeps in the box now.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by