Rooster sleeping in tree

KRack

Crowing
Jan 18, 2022
PA
Our little rooster is about 10 weeks now, and just started crowing and trying to mount the ladies. He's becoming a man!😂 At the same time this change occurred, he started roosting in our tree beside the coop, instead of in the coop with the hens. I've climbed up and gotten him down 4 or 5 times and put him in the coop, but he keeps going up there! What's the deal? Thoughts/advice?

He may have to be confined to the coop building for a week to break the tree habit and re form the habit of roosting inside.
To add to this, I understand if you don't want to 100% confine him all day. Alternatively, try this. a few hours before they tend to go to roost, toss a handful of feed into the coop. Once all the birds are in, shut the doors, block the chicken exits. Let them out manually each morning and put them away manually each afternoon. He won't have any choice but to roost where he's supposed to. He might fuss about it though.

To add to this, I understand if you don't want to 100% confine him all day. Alternatively, try this. a few hours before they tend to go to roost, toss a handful of feed into the coop. Once all the birds are in, shut the doors, block the chicken exits. Let them out manually each morning and put them away manually each afternoon. He won't have any choice but to roost where he's supposed to. He might fuss about it though.
Ok, I'll try this! I was going to let him out there but I worry too much about predators and weather conditions.

Thank you!

Even if you mean to let them range most of the time, it's helpful to have a covered run area that you can confine them to temporarily at times.
That's true. They have a run attached to their coop, both of which are inside a larger fenced in area, even though they free range all day. Keeping him in the run closer to bed time might work too. Thanks!

That's true. They have a run attached to their coop, both of which are inside a larger fenced in area, even though they free range all day. Keeping him in the run closer to bed time might work too. Thanks!

Shutting them in for a week is a classic technique for retraining free range chickens to lay in and roost in their coop.

P.S. Assuming that the place they're shut into has enough space and ventilation. :)
I realized tonight as I was putting him in, that I have one hen (she's currently the top of the pecking order) who's not really having any of his manly business. She didn't really let him in the coop without picking on him, so I put him in on the roost myself and they were fine. Maybe he's avoiding confrontation by sleeping in the tree, and she's being a little bit of a bully because he's working his way up the ranks.

I'll have to keep a closer eye on this situation, but thanks for all the ideas!

Back
Top Bottom