Rooster sleeping quarters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dee88, Aug 14, 2010.

1. dee88

dee88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    This is probably a dumb question but one I haven't seen and I want to confirm that the roosters sleep in the coop at night with the hens, correct? They don't sleep in separate quarters, right?

2. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    As long as they dont pluck the hens then it can sleep with or without the hens.

3. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    Mine sleep with the hens. But seems some are getting a bit loud for the likes of the neighbors [​IMG], so I may look into housing them in a darker cage at night [​IMG]

4. dee88

dee88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    so if they pluck bother the hens they need to sleep in another cage? How large of an are would this have to be? Like a small pet cage? Could I keep him in the run and close the chickens up in the coop? My run is covered on top & sides but not with hardware cloth, only chicken wire on the sides and a metal roof on top of the run. I'm thinking of getting a rooster but I don't really want any more expense in building another coop area. Any ideas?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You have no more of a chance of the rooster plucking hens feathers than you do hen on hen.
    My rooster sleeps in the coop, with his hens, where he belongs.

6. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    Agreed just go with a young roo or a chick. roos are suppose to guard the flock and keep the hens safe and of course other roo things [​IMG]
    Give it a try if it doesnt work you can always rehome him.
    No need to make a bigger coop, mine snuggle up with the ladies [​IMG] and all is quiet till the sun comes up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by