Rooster sneezing...gave the flock VetRX...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by new_to_chickens, Oct 15, 2009.

1. new_to_chickens

new_to_chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    Just wondering what the thoughts were on preemptive precautions I should take. It has been really wet and cold here the past two or three days. The chickens seem to be doing okay, but today when I was down visiting them, one of the roosters started sneezing (three or four times). He seems okay now, but I went to the Co-op and bought some VetRX. I treated them all with it and gave them some mash to eat tonight. They don't seem to be getting having any major respiratory problems, but I just wanted to get some opinions on what you all thought.
    Thanks for your help:)

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    The cold can trigger diseases the birds already have. However, if it was only an isolated incident with one bird I wouldn't worry too much.

VetRX is just a treatment, not a cure. Using it won't hurt or help.

3. new_to_chickens

May 1, 2009
    Thanks for answering...so if VetRX won't hurt or help what is it's purpose? I read on here that you should use it for respiratory disorders (and subsequently read that it isn't a treatment) but I thought it might be a good precautionary measure. So now I am left wondering what its purpose is...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

VetRx is just like a Vicks VapoRub for chickens. It will not fix anything, only perhaps help them feel like they're getting air when they breathe and are congested. Sneezing alone would just be too much ammonia buildup in the wet weather.

5. new_to_chickens

May 1, 2009
    Thank you for your reply...that certainly make me feel better. We do have some leakage issues in the coop that we are in the process of fixing. I use Sweet PDZ (stall dry) in the coop for the time being, but everything is wet right now!! Our field is muddy underneath the grass...sigh...

I guess my chickens wish I would have consulted before I gave them all a dose of VetRX. Oh well, I guess it won't hurt them to have some VetRX. I think they will recover (hopefully) from being manhandled tonight (twice actually since we just got their leg bands in today!!).

It has been so wet here this year...way different than anything we have seen in a few years...

Thanks again...I always know where to turn when I have a question:)

6. Barrett Farm

Barrett Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    Sometimes a little Vitamin & Electrolytes Solution added to their drinking water will boost their immunity. When I feel run down or something coming on, I take those Emergency C drinks packs. The vitamin and electrolyte powder stuff smells just like it. If you have the Emergency C drink mix it up and pour into the water during the day, not at night. The Vit B might keep them awake.

If something is causing the respiratory system to struggle, because the area is damp, I wouldn't advise opening the airway to let more irritants get in and tax their immune system.

Jus' my .02cents...

7. new_to_chickens

May 1, 2009
    Yeah, I already gave them the VetRX, but I will work on the coop tomorrow and make sure they are okay. Needless to say they did NOT like taking the VetRX so being able to mix something into their food or water to help prevent something sounds like a much better idea than shoving something down their throats.

I was anxious to do something since my co-op closes at 5 and there isn't any place else to buy livestock supplies until tomorrow. I guess I didn't want something to fester over night and be worse in the AM. Live and learn, live and learn...

Thanks for your advice. I will certainly keep the Emergency C packets in mind, esp. in the next few days as the weather is not supposed to improve...

8. Barrett Farm

Barrett Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    I haven't figured out how to include a link to another page...
    Select SEARCH on the top of the page
    Search with the key work Necropsy Florida
    Select the forum of Emergencies and hit submit
    There is a posting four titles down the list by M to the Max that reads Necropsy in Florida, scroll through the messages, the 3rd or 4th includes a link for Dr Brown at the university (UFL). He would be a good start in Florida.

You want to ship her asap, the longer she sits (chills) in the party box, the more she breaks down.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by