Rooster Sneezing with Slight Clear Discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Windy Bay Farm, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Windy Bay Farm

Windy Bay Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I recently (about a month ago) acquired a 5-6 month old BA rooster; up until about a week ago he seemed just fine, however he is now sneezing fairly often during the day, he also shakes his head sometimes and has a slight clear nasal discharge. It only seems to be happening during the day as I have spent some time out by the coop listening after he is on the roost and I don't hear him do it. I have 13 pullets who are just fine and acting normal, he also acts normal. Still eats, drinks and mates with the ladies and acts like there is nothing wrong. I'm not sure what's going on or what I should do, treat for something or wait it out and see what happens ? I did notice not long ago that there was an ammonia smell coming from the coop... I use deep litter method but it has been so damp here lately that it has been causing some dampness in the coop. I have since turned the shavings and added new so there is hardly any odour at all... Could the ammonia be contributing to this ? And if so, why are none of the girls showing any of the same signs ?

Any help/input/info will be appreciated.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Ammonia could be contributing to it, but I would think that more birds would be affected. Just as likely, he has a mild respiratory disease. Respiratory diseases are especially prevalent in winter, and during moist conditions/weather. You might want to isolate him from the other birds, as respiratory diseases can spread easily. Give him some electrolytes and probiotics. If it gets worse, get some antibiotics like Terramycin, Duramycin, other forms of oxytetraycline, or Tylan50. I'm not sure what you can get in Canada, but you should be able to find at least one of these antibiotics.

3. Windy Bay Farm

Apr 14, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thanks for the info, Wyandottes... Any idea what I should use for electrolytes ? I am feeding my flock fermented feed so they are already getting the probiotics. How long should I isolate him for, until the symptoms disappear ?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Google homemade electrolytes for chickens--The ChickenChick.com has a good recipe, plus you can use Pedialite or Gatorade. I think the other chickens are probably exposed if he has anything contagious, so if separating is difficult, I would skip it unless he becomes ill with swollen eye,face, or has thick nasal secretions with a bad smell. He could have infectious bronchitis or a mild case of mycoplasma (CRD,) but it may just be from dust or something in the environment.

5. Windy Bay Farm

Apr 14, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I have the ChickenChick on FB so I'll look it up. I also have some packets of Sav-a-Chik electrolytes... It's in a powder form that can be added to the drinking water. Would it be ok to use that or should I look up a good recipe on line ?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, I would use the SaveAChick--if it has vitamins it shouldn't hurt.

7. Windy Bay Farm

Apr 14, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada

It does have vitamins. Thanks so much... I'll get on this first thing in the morning and hope I can help this guy recover from whatever is causing his sneeze.

8. Jeffcohappyhens

Jeffcohappyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2014
    Lakewood Colorado
    I know this post is old but I see your still active. I'm having this exact issue and I'm curious if you had to go to antibiotics or did the vitamins and electrolytes work for you? Thanks.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here is a good link for you to read and compare symptoms. Look at IB, MG, coryza, and ILT. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

10. Windy Bay Farm

Apr 14, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Hi Jeff,

I decided not to go with antibiotics. I've never used them and am not a real believer in using them. I put electrolytes and ACV in the water and eventually the symptoms went away. I didn't give any special treatment or isolate him, just added what I said to the water and let time take its course. I'm not sure at this point if he had/has a disease or it was just something environmental causing his issue. I haven't seen him sneeze since December !

Good luck !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by