Rooster soon to be dinner

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by djackjr, Oct 21, 2009.

1. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    At first the crowing was amusing, but not at 3:30 in the MORNING!!!! Knew I should have not gotten a rooster....

2. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    can you make it darker in the hen house?

3. djackjr

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    No its pich black at night in their now... I know some people that might take him though. He is friendly even to the hens so far... Going to be hard to catch though he is down right afraid of me, have know clue why... I treat him just like I treat the hens and the come a running when I am out...

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    ours does that too, i read somewhere it has to do with sounds they hear at nite, as far as him being scared of you, when you are in the coop and they are settling down, try holding him a bit- just a thought...

5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Well now I feel fortunate, mine waits until 4:30. Now come Nov. 1st when time changes yours will be crowing at 2:30 and mine will be crowing at 3:30. He also crows at night if a predator comes snoopin' around. If I hear him crow before 4:30, I wait about 30sec., before hearing the scream/yelp when the electric fence gets them.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:He behaves that way because he already considers you to be the alpha roo and it's natural for a lower roo to be afraid of the alpha.
    That's a good thing. A roo that's a tad bit afraid of you is less likely to challenge you later on. [​IMG]
    You get used to the crowing pretty darn quick. Unless of course their coop is right outside your bedroom window.
    To catch him easily, go into the coop a night while they are roosting. [​IMG]

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I think roosters crow in the middle of the night when something disturbs their sleep, some noise or movement, or the sound of a neighboring rooster calling. I really don't mind the sound, it doesn't wake me up, I guess I've gotten accustomed to all of my roos crowing at all times of the day or night. There are a lot more worse noises I could think of that I find much much more annoying.

There are a lot of benefits to keeping a rooster with your hens, but you don't have to keep one unless you want your hens to lay fertile eggs. It's up to you.

8. djackjr

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    Quote:He behaves that way because he already considers you to be the alpha roo and it's natural for a lower roo to be afraid of the alpha.
    That's a good thing. A roo that's a tad bit afraid of you is less likely to challenge you later on. [​IMG]
    You get used to the crowing pretty darn quick. Unless of course their coop is right outside your bedroom window.
    To catch him easily, go into the coop a night while they are roosting. [​IMG]

There is the issue I used my old shed for the coop and its 30 feet from my bedroom!!! To big to move....hmmm

9. I told my hubby about this post. He said if we are in the situation where a rooster is crowing at that hour, IT WILL BE DINNER THAT VERY NIGHT!
    [​IMG]
    He hates being bothered while asleep and the dogs are really pushing their luck lately! [​IMG]

10. blurose

blurose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Winston, Oregon
    About this rooster business....I finally got my neighbors' permission to keep a roo, since I now have a big, fully enclosed, shut the doors and windows henhouse for my flock,and I was so over the moon. You see, I love to hear the sound of a rooster crowing. However, when he stands right outside my open bedroom window and has crowing spells periodically all the day long, wakes up crowing whenever I turn on my bedroom light at night (trouble sleeping BEFORE rooster)or even whenever the toilet gets flushed at night, the rooster has gotta go! [​IMG] Having the ability to open my bedroom window and toss treats down to the chickens seemed like a pretty neat trick until the rooster came a crowing. So, I found a nice guy to take my beautiful rooster off my hands and give him a good home. Consequently, the neighbors think its pretty funny that I'm the one who couldn't tolerate the rooster. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by